Ads not shown when logged in
Page 42 of 58 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

2 nominations this week, both Wadworths. Normally steer well clear and for good reason but enforced due to a visit to a Wadworths pub http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/33124/

Wadworths 6x
    Henrys IPA.

Both thin, low hopped with their usual sulphuriness and just plain outdated "brown beers". There was nothing wrong with the way they were served. The nitrokeg Corvus at least is as drinkable as the p**s known as Guinness.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewguru View Post
    2 nominations this week, both Wadworths. Normally steer well clear and for good reason but enforced due to a visit to a Wadworths pub http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/33124/

Wadworths 6x
    Henrys IPA.

Both thin, low hopped with their usual sulphuriness and just plain outdated "brown beers". There was nothing wrong with the way they were served. The nitrokeg Corvus at least is as drinkable as the p**s known as Guinness.
    Pity Wadworths seem to be going downhill:haven't been in a Wadworths pub since I was 17:6X was one of my beer epiphanies,when beer changed from falling down juice to something to really savour and enjoy. Perhaps because of that,I steered clear of it when it was hawked round the country by Twitbread.We don't seem to travel into the West Country much now,unfortunately.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Pity Wadworths seem to be going downhill:haven't been in a Wadworths pub since I was 17:6X was one of my beer epiphanies,when beer changed from falling down juice to something to really savour and enjoy. Perhaps because of that,I steered clear of it when it was hawked round the country by Twitbread.We don't seem to travel into the West Country much now,unfortunately.
    This is typical of nationally known brands - trading on its name rather than its taste. Other examples are Boddingtons, Tetleys, Timothy Taylor Landlord, Sharps Doom Bar, Wells Bombardier. Once the accountants get hold of beers like these, they squeeze the recipe until all the ingredients except for water and a little bit of colouring have been eliminated.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    This is typical of nationally known brands - trading on its name rather than its taste. Other examples are Boddingtons, Tetleys, Timothy Taylor Landlord, Sharps Doom Bar, Wells Bombardier. Once the accountants get hold of beers like these, they squeeze the recipe until all the ingredients except for water and a little bit of colouring have been eliminated.
    Fair point although I'm not sure that I'd bracket Landlord with the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    Agreed!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    I've had so many disappointing pints of Landlord in the free trade, that I've given up asking for it in Timothy Taylor pubs too. The fact that it's always more expensive than every other beer on the bar might have something to do with it.

Let me know where you've had a decent pint of what used to be an outstanding beer, and I'll give it a go next time I'm in the area.
    Come On You Hatters!

I've had so many disappointing pints of Landlord in the free trade, that I've given up asking for it in Timothy Taylor pubs too. The fact that it's always more expensive than every other beer on the bar might have something to do with it.

Let me know where you've had a decent pint of what used to be an outstanding beer, and I'll give it a go next time I'm in the area.
    Probably the last proper decent pint I had of Landlord was at the Cross in Heptonstall around 1990. Prior to that the only top notch pint I had of it outside the TT tied estate was in a free house in Peterborough called the Gladstone Arms (I think).
    Last summer I tried it at their tied Hare & Hounds above Hebden Bridge and although it was OK it certainly didn't have the hop character I remember of old.
    With the explosion of micros this century there must be hundreds of better beers than Landlord out there.
    I would still visit their tied houses, especially the ones stuck out in the middle of nowhere but other than that the beers don't interest me at all.

Have to agree, its not the pint it once was, maybe not as far down the road as Doom Bar and Bombardier but the same road nonetheless.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Interesting one and I'm aware that this is something of a thread de-rail as whatever Landlord is, I don't believe that it warrants BABOTW. I don't have the same enthusiasm for the other beers mentioned by Mr. Hatter which seem to be well placed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Last summer I tried it at their tied Hare & Hounds above Hebden Bridge and although it was OK it certainly didn't have the hop character I remember of old.
    With the explosion of micros this century there must be hundreds of better beers than Landlord out there.
    I completely agree that Landlord now faces much more and more interesting competition and I often overlook it because of this. Recent Landlord revisits have been richly rewarded though and I've often been surprised at how good it is. Memory often plays tricks but I don't think it's changed much over the years and still believe that, if well kept, it's as good as it ever was. I've also noticed that the more you have the more hoppy it becomes.

I've enjoyed it recently here, here, here and here. Those are just the places that spring to mind rather than the result of a thorough trawl. The best and most reliable place where I've had TT beers though is here. The Landlord is sublime and improves as it goes down.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Somewhere, in the dark recesses of my wardrobe, probably towards the Narnia end, still lies a battered Timothy Taylor tee shirt in that familiar shade of green. In the nineties, I used to wear it virtually all the time, such was my love of Landlord. However, these days I'm totally indifferent to the beer and am definitely in the Aqualung, SH and Moby camp. Unfortunately, and it breaks my heart to say it, it just isn't what it once was.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.