Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    eyewateringly expensive at £3.90

Could be worse! I paid £7 for a pint in The Green Man (Harrod's)
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I had a bloody awfull pint of Guiness in the Cladagh Oakengates (no cask ales) it was like cold coffe with a gritty texture , it takes real skill to make keg this bad
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

I've had a bloody awful week for beer as well, hardly any quality time in the pub. I've managed a couple of pints of Landlord one of which was truely 'orrible and I would nominate in this class, oh and I had some Black Sheep, hard to avoid round these parts really. Otherwise just a few bottles to keep me going (Sam Smith's Imperial Stout is especially good). This week might be better if I can get to the Halifax festival.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Time to resurrect this thread I think as I had a beer this week that had memories of Hilden’s bloody awful Gael Rua flooding back to me. It was HB Clark’s Marylyn Monroe and had that same medicinal / line cleaner taste as the Gael Rua. Thankfully I was only trying it out for the barman as it was just coming on so I didn’t waste any money. A few other real ale drinkers in the pub tried it with raised eyebrows. Went back the next day and it had gone, they sent it back and apparently their supplier said they’d had a few complaints about HB Clark’s beers.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

I think line cleaner is an aquired taste, I am never certain whether to return the pint or not.

Just my own taste, but anything by Shepherd Neame is plain awful. A whole range of beers that all taste exactly the same - past the sell by date boiled sweets.

A new one, can't remember what it was, came on at the Queslett some weeks ago. I protested that I just don't like Shepherd Neame but the barmaid insisted it was nice and gave me a sample. It was rank! I had something else instead from the pub's extensive range of ales.

Just can't get on with SN. Went to Kent on holiday in 2008 and spent my time dodging the SN pubs, which was surprisingly easy.

Quote Originally Posted by General Staal View Post
    Just my own taste, but anything by Shepherd Neame is plain awful. A whole range of beers that all taste exactly the same - past the sell by date boiled sweets.

A new one, can't remember what it was, came on at the Queslett some weeks ago. I protested that I just don't like Shepherd Neame but the barmaid insisted it was nice and gave me a sample. It was rank! I had something else instead from the pub's extensive range of ales.

Just can't get on with SN. Went to Kent on holiday in 2008 and spent my time dodging the SN pubs, which was surprisingly easy.
    I agree, my mouth tasted of soil two days after leaving Hastings... Really not a fan.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I agree, my mouth tasted of soil two days after leaving Hastings... Really not a fan.
    Never tasted soil in sheps.I know they don't set the Thames alight, but on the whole I find Sheps reliable and on occasion, excellent. I tend to prefer Late Red and the rarely available Porter,and dislike Spitfire;4:4:2 was enjoyable in the hot weather.When served well , even Masterbrew has a tongue smacking hoppiness that you don' t often find in an ordinary bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Never tasted soil in sheps.I know they don't set the Thames alight, but on the whole I find Sheps reliable and on occasion, excellent. I tend to prefer Late Red and the rarely available Porter,and dislike Spitfire;4:4:2 was enjoyable in the hot weather.When served well , even Masterbrew has a tongue smacking hoppiness that you don' t often find in an ordinary bitter.
    Mostly agree, and I quite like Early Bird too...

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Whilst I do whatever I can to avoid Hall & Woodhouse and their dreary Badger beers. Well, Tanglefoot is passable, but too strong for a session and I had a spring special called 'Hopping Hare' not so long ago. I'm putting that down to the cellaring skills at the Tanners, who seem to make a good job of poor material.

Apologies to all of you who've read the same from me on several occasions now .