Ads not shown when logged in
Page 39 of 58 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

Elgoods - Indian Summer tried at The Merchants beer festival in Rugby.
    None of us who tried it could finish it (1/3 pints) all finding it too sweet and tangy. Very disappointing.

This Space For Hire

'tis the season to be cheerless. Any number of abominable concoctions now appearing on bars, especially in chain pubs where corporate policy dictates guvnors stock such stuff. Regular punters of course give it all a wide berth, but I suppose it all keeps the office party brigade happy.

And don't get me started on mulled wine.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

A good wander with 'trainman' over the weekend saw us sampling some excellent beers, however there was one absolute stinker in the form of Nelson Spanker. The brewery strapline describes it as 'a fruity ale with a smooth predominance of hops'. Hmmm. Four of our party tried it and all found it utterly tasteless - quite an achievement for a 4.2% beer. If my memory serves me correctly, I think this brewery has been highlighted before, by one or two of our SE contributors: Roger? rpadam? Now I understand why.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    A good wander with 'trainman' over the weekend saw us sampling some excellent beers, however there was one absolute stinker in the form of Nelson Spanker. The brewery strapline describes it as 'a fruity ale with a smooth predominance of hops'. Hmmm. Four of our party tried it and all found it utterly tasteless - quite an achievement for a 4.2% beer. If my memory serves me correctly, I think this brewery has been highlighted before, by one or two of our SE contributors: Roger? rpadam? Now I understand why.
    Not sure of Roger's or rpa's views, but I'm not particularily taken with Nelson's produce.I've given up on their bottle conditioned ales because of inept conditioning (most brewers have got on top of that, by now!), and the only time I come across 'em in cask form is at a Produced in Kent bash where we are working, and Old Dairy are also in attendance. No contest, really.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Not sure of Roger's or rpa's views, but I'm not particularily taken with Nelson's produce.I've given up on their bottle conditioned ales because of inept conditioning (most brewers have got on top of that, by now!), and the only time I come across 'em in cask form is at a Produced in Kent bash where we are working, and Old Dairy are also in attendance. No contest, really.
    Had Nelson brews in cask form in several mid-Kent pubs, and the politest thing to say about them is "variable". Some barrels are OK, if unexciting and not to everybody's taste, but then the next which one might expect to be from the same batch can be excessively lively, cloudy or out of condition. Overall it's the unpredictability that I find most off-putting.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

I had a pretty awful pint of Nelson "Trafalgar" in Trafalgar Tavern and gave the pub a bit of a panning in my review, although it is fair to say that bad as my pint was it wasn't as bad as my colleague's drink, a different beer, so I'm sure I was justified.
    Ok, maybe just for one......................

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Thomas Guest -- Cobbler

Having been recommended by the young barmaid in The Kings Head,Leicester sadly this turned out to be a hop free,thin and watery brew tasting of very little save a faint woody tang.Perfectly clear with a head but bland.Horrified to discover that Black Country Ales brew occasionally under the Thomas Guest name,so this was a house beer in a very good real ale pub.Absolute cobblers.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Partners - Shoddy

I should have known better than to have something called Shoddy it should have been called Sh*tty or possibly Shocking.

It's suppose to be a porter, but it certainly fooled me.

Mid brown, but cloying and leaving a sour taste in your mouth when you swallow. Absolute crap.

Partners are on the "List Of Shame" at The Baum as they have previous for this sort of travesty.

Sadly I was in the Regal Moon. Not the pubs fault, but I couldn't finish it.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Partners - Shoddy

Mid brown, but cloying and leaving a sour taste in your mouth when you swallow. Absolute crap.
    Most odd, it was my BOTW w/e 7/9/14

Goffs Jouster, Brown ,Insipid,Unimaginative, relatively tasteless , boring , bloody awful. Why do brewers turn out this repetitive stuff?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields