Ads not shown when logged in
Page 36 of 58 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    To be honest, I didn't really like it back then, no chance now.
    I was'nt a fan of Bass when the Nottingham brewerys were up and running,Shipstones,Home and Kimberley,but in the last couple of years i have drunk Bass quite a bit and have quite enjoyed the drink,this is in different pubs in the Midlands,so i am with Bucking Fastard on this one.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I had a pint of Bass last night for old time sake.What a dreadful beer watery and sweet.No wonder its a rare beer around London.
    1981 GBG has "OG 1044 - a fine ale, well hopped with a distinctive delicate palate.
    This year's entry we find "OG 1043, ABV 4.4%, hints of caramel and aroma and taste, lightly hopped for a short, bitter finish

I wonder if it is the same hoppiness as it always was, just that our tastes have changed and thus the descriptions

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    1981 GBG has "OG 1044 - a fine ale, well hopped with a distinctive delicate palate.
    This year's entry we find "OG 1043, ABV 4.4%, hints of caramel and aroma and taste, lightly hopped for a short, bitter finish

I wonder if it is the same hoppiness as it always was, just that our tastes have changed and thus the descriptions
    I very much doubt it. The "Hop Bomb" stuff that divides opinion today is created mainly with New World hops.
    It was a genuinely fine beer in the seventies as was the original Boddington's. Boddington's had a low OG for a 4% beer so they probably used brewing sugar to up the strength but avoid sweetness. King and Barnes did this with their ordinary bitter, a cooking beer that I really miss and no I haven't tried the Badger version!!
    Shipstones was another very bitter beer that I was lucky enough to catch a brewery visit to before Greenall's got their mitts on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    King and Barnes did this with their ordinary bitter, a cooking beer that I really miss and no I haven't tried the Badger version!!
    I wouldn't bother!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Was it badly kept ? Bass is very common within 50 miles of Burton and if there is good throughput,it can be a reasonable session beer.IMHO Marston's have done a decent job with it,and the distinctive sulphur "Burton nose" once a third of the pint is left still seems to be there,more so that other Marston's bitters.

Or were you on an East London hop bomb session ,in which case a pint of Bass may have tasted very funny indeed
    No it was a night for drinking a few nostalgic beers .Beer was in good condition at the Express Tavern Kew Bridge which is famous for Bass and my mate Fred who has drank it for the 30 years reckons its still superb.Funnily enough Tandlemans blog rated it highly yesterday.Maybe the new wave beers are changing my opinions.

This Space For Hire

I spent my teenage years drinking keg beers in Scotland ,then at 20 real ale in London but I could not say I really enjoyed it till I visited my sister who lived in a village in Nottingham. Probably 3 pubs in the village all selling Home ales. loved it and was hooked on real ale. I still remember that was the week that I realised the English could brew beer as before I was struggling with the strange taste compared to the sweeter Scottish beers.

This Space For Hire

According to the renowned beer expert Martyn Cornwall after Bass and Worthingtons amalgamated in 1927 both bass and worthintons E were the same beer brewed to the same recipe Always thought Worthingtons E was a better beer.Any thoughts on this.

According to the renowned beer expert Martyn Cornwall after Bass and Worthingtons amalgamated in 1927 both bass and worthintons E were the same beer brewed to the same recipe Always thought Worthingtons E was a better beer.Any thoughts on this.
    I've only come across Worthington E as a keg beer and I would be very surprised if the keg version was as strong as cask Bass.
    If Fred has been drinking Bass for just 30 years it would be after it was ruined.
    I thought Home was the poorest of the Notts brewers, although I enjoyed their mild. Scotland was a disaster area for beer in the seventies although Belhaven beers were OK as was Younger's No 3 which could be found in London. The keg Tartan in Scotland was vastly superior to the rubbish they sent down here. The Scottish one had a fair bit of body and maltiness but the Southern one was watery and tasteless.

I can believe the two beers might have been the same post 1927, but when I started drinking in the mid-sixties they were very different - at least in London. The keg/fizz Worthington E wasn't a patch on the real ale Bass. These were the only versions of these beers I saw in London in those days, and they were like comparing chalk and cheese.

Feels early in the year to put one forward but this one is worthy of inclusion. BABOTW Keltek Lance, pale, 4% and with the only discernible flavour being a nasty chemical tang. Putting a Cornish flag on a pump clip doesn't make a decent beer and any beer to which Youngs Special is preferred and actually tastes decent against deserves this award.