Ads not shown when logged in
Page 35 of 58 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

It's been a while since I felt the need to nominate a beer here, but Thwaites' Benny and Hop really was an absolute toe curler. Doffing its cap at Lancashire's love affair with Benedictine liqueur, it's a beer brewed with the same herbal flavourings. Although quite promising on the nose, reminding me of green hopped beers, the flavour can only be described as 'medicinal', at best. Not for me.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Upham - Winters T'ale, at 4.5% you would expect some flavour and body, it was thinner than water and no real taste at all, Iv'e now tried three beers from this brewery and they were all average at the very best, it makes you wonder why they bother.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Described as an IPA ,I found Three Tuns - Clerics Cure not in the slightest bit enjoyable,a harsh bitterness gave way to sickly sweet caramel, the two didnt marry at all for me. Most definitely BABOTW.
    No way! That's a very nice beer indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ71 View Post
    No way! That's a very nice beer indeed.
    That's what makes beer interesting.
    "One man's trash is another man's treasure".
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

I had a pint of Bass last night for old time sake.What a dreadful beer watery and sweet.No wonder its a rare beer around London.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I had a pint of Bass last night for old time sake.What a dreadful beer watery and sweet.No wonder its a rare beer around London.
    Times change. I remember sometime in the seventies it started appearing more widely in London Charrington's pubs alongside their IPA, often then only real ale available in any pubs across great swathes of the city. Many welcomed it with open arms, though I found the 'ring of fire' effect the next morning displeasing. I haven't tried it in decades though I suspect the brew, and its side effects, have changed substantially over the years

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Was it badly kept ? Bass is very common within 50 miles of Burton and if there is good throughput,it can be a reasonable session beer.IMHO Marston's have done a decent job with it,and the distinctive sulphur "Burton nose" once a third of the pint is left still seems to be there,more so that other Marston's bitters.

Or were you on an East London hop bomb session ,in which case a pint of Bass may have tasted very funny indeed
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Was it badly kept ? Bass is very common within 50 miles of Burton and if there is good throughput,it can be a reasonable session beer.IMHO Marston's have done a decent job with it,and the distinctive sulphur "Burton nose" once a third of the pint is left still seems to be there,more so that other Marston's bitters.

Or were you on an East London hop bomb session ,in which case a pint of Bass may have tasted very funny indeed
    Back in the seventies I used to work one evening a week behind my old student union bar where they sold cask Bass and Fuller's ESB, both of which needed a fair time to settle. Bass was a great drink then, the casks were very heavily dry hopped. In those days 4.5% or whatever it is was regarded as a stronger beer as most brewers still just produced mainly 4% or just under strength beers. It was mainly the first wave of microbreweries that changed the climate towards stronger beers.
    Bass changed completely around the early eighties (I think) and I haven't really tried it much since. Marston's use some new system where their beers settle in a very short time, so the idea that the current version would be anything like the old days seems highly unlikely. I expect the current version is just another Marston's beer. If I was unlucky enough to walk into a pub selling just Bass I would walk out rather than waste time trying it.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I haven't had Bass for years, but it is common around pubs we visit in Cornwall in the summer, so may give it a go when next down there.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

To be honest, I didn't really like it back then, no chance now.
    -W.C.Fields