Ads not shown when logged in
Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

Yes, Young's Ordinary was a real treat here in Kent in the early CAMRA days, as was Special,though I always preferred the Ordinary. I'm intrigued by Sambrook's Wandle, though have never seen it. Sounds like my type of Beer.Isn't there some form of "continuity brewery" on the old Young's site?
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I've always wondered how much Sambrook's Wandle is a copy of Young's Ordinary
    Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I'm intrigued by Sambrook's Wandle, though have never seen it.
    I've tried Wandle twice and found it very bland both times. I think they've been quite fortunate to get reasonable take-up, probably aided by the 'Locale' scheme, although Wandle Junction, in a different (regular bitter) style I seem to recall had rather more character.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Yes, Young's Ordinary was a real treat here in Kent in the early CAMRA days, as was Special,though I always preferred the Ordinary. I'm intrigued by Sambrook's Wandle, though have never seen it. Sounds like my type of Beer.Isn't there some form of "continuity brewery" on the old Young's site?
    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I've tried Wandle twice and found it very bland both times. I think they've been quite fortunate to get reasonable take-up, probably aided by the 'Locale' scheme, although Wandle Junction, in a different (regular bitter) style I seem to recall had rather more character.
    The last pint of Young's Ordinary I could call decent was drunk in The Grapes in Wandsworth five or so years ago ,beer production had moved to Bedford more than a year before this,I remember the quality of the beer being up and down for some time even while still based in wandsworth, after a poor start as wells and young's I thought I detected a slow improvement in taste about three years ago. Alas it didn't last and today's Ordinary and Special remain poor, I wouldn't give them half a glance nowadays. I have to say I agree with Trainman ,I found Sambrooke's Wandle quite nondiscript and not keen on their Junction either.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 24-07-2013 at 04:56.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I have to say I agree with Trainman ,I found Sambrooke's Wandle quite nondicript and not keen on their Junction either.
    Likewise - they have a lot of PR and goodwill but that's more down to being in the right place (London) at the right time (newest and now longest micro). Redemption are much better IMHO. Fancy some Big Chief now!

I think you may be a little harsh on Sambrook's. I guess I've been lucky with them as all of their beers I've tried have been in excellent nick. I have to agree that several London brewers are outshining them (and some are not!), but as far as I can see they have tried to brew "traditional" beers rather than "craft" beers with loads of foreign hops, although the Pumphouse Pale is heading in that direction.

What surprises me most is that they seem to have got their foot in the door of the supermarkets (Tesco).

They are probably not the oldest London micro as Brodie's first brew appeared in August 2008, according to the website Wandle appeared in November. I can't think of two more different brewers as Sambrook's claim 4 beers and Mr Brodie has produced literally hundreds. Sorry! That should read 5 for Sambrook's as they have done a small scale Lavender Honey beer.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 24-07-2013 at 19:49.

I think you may be a little harsh on Sambrook's. I guess I've been lucky with them as all of their beers I've tried have been in excellent nick. I have to agree that several London brewers are outshining them (and some are not!), but as far as I can see they have tried to brew "traditional" beers rather than "craft" beers with loads of foreign hops, although the Pumphouse Pale is heading in that direction.

What surprises me most is that they seem to have got their foot in the door of the supermarkets (Tesco).

They are probably not the oldest London micro as Brodie's first brew appeared in August 2008, according to the website Wandle appeared in November. I can't think of two more different brewers as Sambrook's claim 4 beers and Mr Brodie has produced literally hundreds.
    The Pumphouse Pale I actually quite liked, more my style of beer I guess.
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    The Pumphouse Pale I actually quite liked, more my style of beer I guess.
    Which others would probably call hop soup!!

Which others would probably call hop soup!!
    Sounds nice
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Don't like any of the Sambrooke,s beers but Wandle won the best bitter award at the World Beer Awards so what do I know about beer.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Don't like any of the Sambrooke,s beers but Wandle won the best bitter award at the World Beer Awards so what do I know about beer.
    I know how you feel