Ads not shown when logged in
Page 31 of 58 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

This Space For Hire

The second one that has re-opened .I thought i had already reviewed it .probably a 7 for me but then again i had a good pint and it was also by Hackney.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Cleopatra Derwentia, yesterday in Silk Mill Derby. Lemon Sherberty? Horrible.
    Good day on the whole, but I also had a couple of musty tasting beers at Brewery Tap.
    Still not managed the Falstaff, as it is in opposite direction to main pub route.

This Space For Hire

From a new brewer Bexar County-chocolate covered banana mild 6.0.Sounds good yeah. It was terrible.Mild for May no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Mild for May no thanks.
    I like MILD, so when I was having a pre-crawl pint in the Wetherspoons on Leeds station the other day I plumped for the Leeds Vienna, which the pump clip said was a mild. It is not. The Leeds Brewery's own description: "Brewed initially for Wetherspoon 2013 Spring 2013 Real Ale Festival. This new beer is a traditional mild, dark in colour and smooth in character, brewed using a complex blend of roasted malts to deliver a classic, rich finish." This beer looks like a mild, and has the mouth feel of a mild, but it is very bitter indeed. If I'd been expecting a bitter, I would still have found it too bitter; but when I was told to expect a mild, it was a shock to encounter so much bitterness. I've had some bad experiences with Black IPAs in the last year or so - this wasn't as bad as them, but still pretty nasty.
    Come On You Hatters!

We visited Knaresborough last week and for the first time I managed to visit Blind Jacks.

We've been in Knaresborough before but the pub opens late in midweek.

I started off with a pint of York El Dorado which was in good nick.

They now have a small brewery upstairs at the pub so I thought I'd try one of their beers.

I tried Blind Faith it was a hefty 6.8%, so I only had a half, it was filth.

So strongly hopped that it was totally unbalanced and left a horrible taste in the mouth, the aftertaste was worse.

I hope their other beers are better, because this one was bloody awful.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Two this week that could be BABOTW on the grounds of a misguided recipe.

Hardknott Cool Fusion - a brewery noted for experimental beers and an uncompromising attitude to drinkers opinions from the owner/brewer, sometimes it works sometimes it's shite, this time it's the latter. Thin and nasty.

Poor as Cool Fusion was it was eclipsed by Theakstons' River's Answer. If I tell you the recipe includes Lapsang Souchong and mandarin oranges you can guess the rest. It's not as if I'm against smoked beers, I drink and enjoy Schlenkerla beer from Bamberg.

http://www.theakstons.co.uk/Ales/River-s-Answer/

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Two this week that could be BABOTW on the grounds of a misguided recipe.

Hardknott Cool Fusion - a brewery noted for experimental beers and an uncompromising attitude to drinkers opinions from the owner/brewer, sometimes it works sometimes it's shite, this time it's the latter. Thin and nasty.

Poor as Cool Fusion was it was eclipsed by Theakstons' River's Answer. If I tell you the recipe includes Lapsang Souchong and mandarin oranges you can guess the rest. It's not as if I'm against smoked beers, I drink and enjoy Schlenkerla beer from Bamberg.

http://www.theakstons.co.uk/Ales/River-s-Answer/
    This is what happens when brewers jump on the Craft bandwagon.

This Space For Hire

Went to a party in a club last night.Only beer they had was Youngs-bitter.Only £2.35 a pint and the locals love it.Tasteless shadow of what used to be a good beer.

Had an Otley Thai-Bo the other day at the Alehouse in Reading. Now, I've been perplexed by the fanboy gibbering about their beers that seemed to infect CAMRA publications a while back (seemingly every issue of Beer had something about them in it).

Anyway, to cut to the chase, it was shit. They are now officially on my 'avoid' list.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Went to a party in a club last night.Only beer they had was Youngs-bitter.Only £2.35 a pint and the locals love it.Tasteless shadow of what used to be a good beer.
    I did wonder about this as in the early to mid seventies the established CAMRA crowd revered this beer rather than the Special which our lot used to drink. In my opinion Special lost it's way well over twenty years ago.

There was a bloke called Andy Bishop who used to brew beer by the Market Porter (he used to work there), and his "Ordinary" was a blatant copy of the Young's brew. I think he even told me that he got his yeast from them!
    I seem to recall him saying that Young's cut off his supply of yeast. Bishop's is no more and I have no idea what happened to the brewery.

I've always wondered how much Sambrook's Wandle is a copy of Young's Ordinary. I've only tried it once, beers of that strength usually slip under my radar unless it's a cheap Spoons.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 22-07-2013 at 22:38.