Ads not shown when logged in
Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    I think I saw the MSM on in The Angel in the northern quarter Manchester on Friday. I didn't recognise it was Fernandes though and there's are usually quite distinctive.
    Not quite sure what you mean here. Do you mean you didn't recognise the pump clip? They have changed the design recently and are now predominantly yellow and black, with red and white print. I know you're predominantly a fan of pale, hoppy beers, but you drink the odd dark beer. Be interested to hear what you make of MSM.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Brewdog Zeitgeist...Freezing cold, black as the ace of spades and yet totally tasteless.
    That pretty much describes their Winter Porter, I tried over Christmas. (Duchess of Cambridge, Stamford Brook) For a 6% beer to be nigh on tasteless is unforgivable in my book. To be fair the 5am Saint was recognisable as the same beer, but not a patch on the cask version.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Two contenders, Alliance Brewery's Alliance Best Bitter, can't find out anything about them , but their beer was bloody awful.Also Courage Best Bitter,grew up on it but I have to say it was bloody awful. This week I nominate both.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 22-07-2012 at 09:14.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I feel a right miserable old sod (yes unbelievably it's true) but two weeks in a row I've nominated a BABOTW, this week is a joint special brew for JDW from a Corfu brewery and Everards,

the fairly disgusting Koroibos

Anyone else tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I feel a right miserable old sod (yes unbelievably it's true) but two weeks in a row I've nominated a BABOTW, this week is a joint special brew for JDW from a Corfu brewery and Everards,

Anyone else tried it?
    I think you've just put me off,but I'll try a half if I happen by it.
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post

Anyone else tried it?
    Yes I had it in the Spoons at Potters Bar but I did not think much of it myself. I thought it was just me as we were on the festival Ciders all day long before I got to that Beer so by the time I drank that my taste buds were already dead. I just could not taste it Was like Ditch water slightly cloudy No taste as such But a bitter after taste.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

I really hope that between now and the end of the week I have anything as poor as the Young's London Gold I have just finished.Flat as a witches and totally insipid ,definately my BABOTW
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 27-07-2012 at 18:23.
    -W.C.Fields

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Did not think i would ever say this but Pictish Dana served perfectly clear and at the correct temprature but i was warned by the other regulars before i tried it and they were correct ......... bloody horrible ....... starts off all hoppy citrus then goes really dry and bitter and with a horrible burnt caramel aftertaste , just didnt work .
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

A truly dreadful half of Courage Best here, for which I was charged the princely sum of £2. Warm, flat and almost completely devoid of anything to make it taste like beer.
    Come On You Hatters!

I had a pint of something called Frankin's Grumpy Governor on Friday and while it was served in perfect condition I found it sweet and boring. This is the sort of beer that is giving beers other than Gold ones a bad name as if this is the alternative to them then I'm not surprised that everyone wants Gold. I really don't like brownish sweet bitters. The Beartown range springs to mind, a bitter that takes the roof off your mouth is the one for me.

One of my favourite beer styles is what I call "Orange" beer. Obviously this refers to the colour, but they are also extremely well hopped. The two classics that spring to mind are Woodforde's Wherry and Triple fff Moondance. I did bump into another one a while back, but I can't remember what it was.