Ads not shown when logged in
Page 18 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

Nelson again Jamming Jack, Sweaty socks in a glass sprinkled with dust.

Tried in The Baum, so it's definitely the beer, as it was crystal clear.

It was just bloody awful.

I think Nelson are beginning to take over from Hilden as the most nominated brewery.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Glass Half Empty

Who else has tried Twickenham's Gothick Dark? The pint I had tasted like a particularly revolting sort of medicine. I'd like to know whether it was the brew, or just because I was drinking it in the Black Lion in Surbiton.
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
    Who else has tried Twickenham's Gothick Dark? The pint I had tasted like a particularly revolting sort of medicine. I'd like to know whether it was the brew, or just because I was drinking it in the Black Lion in Surbiton.
    I had it in the Sussex Arms, Twickenham, a couple of weeks ago. My memory of it was an okay-ish, strong dark mild. I certainly didn't find it revolting, so I suspect your's was past its best. Strangely enough, I also tried the same brewery's Honey Dark, in The Duchess of Cambridge and that I really did dislike.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Glass Half Empty

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I had it in the Sussex Arms, Twickenham, a couple of weeks ago. My memory of it was an okay-ish, strong dark mild. I certainly didn't find it revolting, so I suspect your's was past its best. Strangely enough, I also tried the same brewery's Honey Dark, in The Duchess of Cambridge and that I really did dislike.
    Cheers A&H, I did rather suspect it might be the pub. I find Twickenham beers generally have a distinctive tang to them - which I don't particularly like - and I was expecting to find the Gothick Dark more to my taste - shame I got a bad pint of it.
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

Wibble Apprentice in the George Croydon on Sunday. Although it could be the pub. Asked the "duty manager" did she think it might be near the end of the barrel,her response was she hadn't poured any today so she didn't know. What has that got to do with answering the question. The feckers deleted me facebook posting about the same thing. An email has been sent to the local CAMRA branch. Its a pity,pub was good in the past but it McSpoons so no surprise at the peaks and trophs of service and quality.....

A bloody awful pint of Doom Bar which I knew would probably be bloody awful before I tried it , unfortunate but lack of choice drove me to it. Wont bother next time.

Mrs Quinno and I went to the theatre for her birthday yesterday and we ended up in The Bear & Staff for a pre-match bevvy. I went for St Austell Pale Ale ('brewed exclusively for Nicholsons'). If ever a beer spectacularly failed to match its description, this was it. I almost wonder if it was said beer at all...brown, bland and forgettable. Anyone else tried it? The condition of it was fairly weak which didn't help matters...

I know Tribute has started to become a bit mainstream these days but it's still a damn fine pint when looked after properly.

Not tried the new Pale yet, but I'm a bit surprised about the condition you found it in as the Bear & Staff has always been one of the best Nicholsons in term of beer quality. Mind you, as a chain, they seem to have generally upped their game over the last few years so perhaps this one is slipping back a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Not tried the new Pale yet, but I'm a bit surprised about the condition you found it in as the Bear & Staff has always been one of the best Nicholsons in term of beer quality. Mind you, as a chain, they seem to have generally upped their game over the last few years so perhaps this one is slipping back a bit...
    On the CAMRA scale, it was a bona fide 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Mrs Quinno and I went to the theatre for her birthday yesterday and we ended up in The Bear & Staff for a pre-match bevvy. I went for St Austell Pale Ale ('brewed exclusively for Nicholsons'). If ever a beer spectacularly failed to match its description, this was it. I almost wonder if it was said beer at all...brown, bland and forgettable. Anyone else tried it? The condition of it was fairly weak which didn't help matters...

I know Tribute has started to become a bit mainstream these days but it's still a damn fine pint when looked after properly.
    I had a pint in The Old Bell Tavern last week - I thought it was okay, quite drinkable but not all that exciting. There have been a few beers brewed especially for Nicholson's over the years and none of them have been all that memorable (unless I've missed a belter somewhere along the line).