Ads not shown when logged in
Page 15 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post

Even worse is Marstons they still sell Mansfield bitter and the pump clip says brewed in Mansfield,Marstons bought the brewery then closed it a few years later the brewery has now been demolished.
    But Marstons have the audacity to put maps of Great Britain on pubs walls with their breweries marked on it, Mansfield brewery is on this map
    Al that really is shocking,and much the same as their reduction in Pedigree ABV a few years ago which IMHO ruined a very good beer .

Now this is an odd one, my BABOTW is Roosters Oakey Cream, the odd thing being that I remembered having it before and it wasn't bad at all. This week it was foul, not off or anything just crap, so much so that I didn't bother finishing it.

My worry is, now that the Fozzard Bros are brewing at Roosters is this one of theirs or one brewed by the Franklyns?

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Now this is an odd one, my BABOTW is Roosters Oakey Cream, the odd thing being that I remembered having it before and it wasn't bad at all. This week it was foul, not off or anything just crap, so much so that I didn't bother finishing it.

My worry is, now that the Fozzard Bros are brewing at Roosters is this one of theirs or one brewed by the Franklyns?
    I know we touched on Roosters when we were putting the world to rights, on the train down, on Friday. My best guess is that Sean just looks over their shoulder and largely lets them get on with it. I recall that, overall, you were quite optimistic about the changeover (and I hope you're right) but I still maintain it's the end of an era.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Crown at Nuneaton must have been having an off day on Thursday as 2 out of 3 of the beers we had were returned . They said policy was not to give tasters too which isn't good for a CAMRA Good Beer Guide pub. All the beers were £1.95 a pint, but the beer should be drinkable even if cheap. My friend returned a Cottage beer, and we returned a Celt Experience beer. They did change them, but I would be wary of drinking here again unless I could try before I buy.

Pub almost empty so maybe too many beers for not enough customers means beers on too long.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

I've never felt the urge to nominate a BABOTW before. However, Black Hole 'Starry Nights', tried over the weekend, was the weirdest thing I've drunk in ages and I struggled to finish a half. Vaguely medicinal, with underlying sourness, topped off with berry notes is the best I can describe it. The condition of the beer was fine, so it was definitely the brew itself. (A bit of research showed that other drinkers felt the same way.) I've previously been impressed with Black Hole beers, but this is a stinker. Anyone else come across it?
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I've never felt the urge to nominate a BABOTW before. However, Black Hole 'Starry Nights', tried over the weekend, was the weirdest thing I've drunk in ages and I struggled to finish a half. Vaguely medicinal, with underlying sourness, topped off with berry notes is the best I can describe it. The condition of the beer was fine, so it was definitely the brew itself. (A bit of research showed that other drinkers felt the same way.) I've previously been impressed with Black Hole beers, but this is a stinker. Anyone else come across it?
    Yes I had a taster of it at the Manchester Food & Drink Show. Black Hole had a bar there, so of course we went for some freebies. Their salesman was serving on the bar, we had a couple of halves of Red Dwarf and one of, I think, Supernova. When we asked for a half each of Starry Nights he said "Ah, right, I think you might be better with just a taster of that first". It was a bit late in the day, so I can't remember what it tasted like, but I know we both went "Urggh!" and left it.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

That maybe the drink we had once at the BCA in WAlsall, we took it back thinking it off, to be told....... 'Sorry lads, it is SUPPOSED to taste like that'.
    MILD:

BOBOTW G/K Abbots. Had a awful pint of Abbots it Smelt like Bad Eggs & tasted sulphur & sweet, When I took it back the barmaid said its always like that My reply was I know G/K Beers are not that good but its supposed too be a lot better than that it tastes awful and its very cloudy . Had too get a Pint of Lager Instead which weren't much better.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I can't remember what it tasted like, but I know we both went "Urggh!" and left it.
    Glad to know it wasn't just me then.

Harveys Christmas Ale, 7.5% reduced from 8.1% last year. Had a half last night and struggled to finish it. The governor at the pub wasn’t very impressed with it and likened it to syrup, which isn’t far off the mark.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES