Ads not shown when logged in
Page 14 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

I'll stay on me own

My bad beer of the week goes to Middle Earths Prancing Pony tried at the Nottingham beer festival.

My wifes comments in the festival programme were YUK

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I give yuk marks on my sheet too, but my yuk beer of the festival at Nottingham was Welliington Inn The Beef on Thursday.

It was a superb fest we enjoyed through Thursday Friday and Saturday, and the only other beers that were a bit iffy were Marlpool Otters Pocket, May Hill Leg End, and Worsthorne Colliers Clog. We got through 18 a day between us, so having so few iffy against so many superb beers keeps Nottingham fest at number 1.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Ok, it wasn't this week, but TSA Taking the Pith is an easy winner of babotm, and probably ty!
    From reading the spoons thread, it could be a popular vote...

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    I give yuk marks on my sheet too, but my yuk beer of the festival at Nottingham was Welliington Inn The Beef on Thursday.

It was a superb fest we enjoyed through Thursday Friday and Saturday, and the only other beers that were a bit iffy were Marlpool Otters Pocket, May Hill Leg End, and Worsthorne Colliers Clog. We got through 18 a day between us, so having so few iffy against so many superb beers keeps Nottingham fest at number 1.
    I agree with everything you say Gill.

Most of the beers we tried were very nice and the Nottingham beer festival gets better and better each year.
    I went to my first Nottingham beer festival in 1982 when i was 20 and my wife went to her first Nottingham beer festival in 1984 we have been to every one since then so next years will be my 30th Nottingham beer festival.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Mine came out of a bottle - from the Sainsbury's 'Beer Fest' (I did finally manage to track down the beers). Caledonian "Wit". Brewed with the assistance of a chap from Heineken, apparently. Thought a wheat-style beer would be worth a try, but the demented Dutch loon put liquorice in it! While the flavour is (fortunately) not to the fore, it's definitely there and I won't be going near the stuff ever again. Glad I only bought one bottle of it.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

I had a strange one last week ,Halfpenny Brewery Four Seasons.According to their website there should be a floral citrussy aroma,but what I got was a strong honey flavour and a burst of aromatic chemical with a metallic finish.It was like being back at the chemistry lab at school making ether.Pipe cleaner to blame ? I think not and the Seven Stars,Bristol has a fine reputation for handling real ale,the beer was clear, not flat nor lacking in natural carbonation but that taste.....Has anyone else suffered the same from this microbrewery or was I just unlucky ?

Its got too be The Taking The Pith in the spoons fest and I think they are it was like a pint of water with a lemon squeezed into it UUggh. No flavor at all just like lemon water.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

OK ,I should have known better than to enter a Greene King tied house.Three handpumps with the ubiquitous GK IPA and Abbott but wait......a guest beer Squinting at the pump clip revealed Howell at the Moon brewed by Howell's .Must try it ,perhaps this pressages a new guest ale policy by Greedy King.

However this dark ale was malty ,a little sweet,with not much character and no finish = instantly forgettable.

Got home to find out a little more about this new brewery only to discover that a Mr Howell is head brewer at Greene King.

I realise GK often try and disguise the Bury St Edmunds brewery provenance of their beers using the Westgate Brewery and St Edmunds Brewery insignia on some of their output and Mc Mullens sometimes palm off their beers as from "The Whole Hop Brewery" .But this slight of hand plumbs new depths.

Anyone else aware of duplicity like this by other brewers ?

I'll stay on me own

There is a lot of this going on now,

Last year had a drink of Phipps Red Star this is a long closed Northamptonshire brewery i i dont know who brews this beer.

Even worse is Marstons they still sell Mansfield bitter and the pump clip says brewed in Mansfield,Marstons bought the brewery then closed it a few years later the brewery has now been demolished.
    But Marstons have the audacity to put maps of Great Britain on pubs walls with their breweries marked on it, Mansfield brewery is on this map

[QUOTE=Al 10000;38356]There is a lot of this going on now,

Last year had a drink of Phipps Red Star this is a long closed Northamptonshire brewery i i dont know who brews this beer.

Grainstore for Phipps NBC http://phipps-nbc.co.uk/
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.