Ads not shown when logged in
Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

Bloody Awful is too strong a comment, more like biggest disappointment...

Was driven by the heavy down poors to take refuge in a pub I haven't visited for years (any excuse !), to find that it is now a Hall and Woodhouse outlet.

As I enjoy these guys I tried their current seasonal Fursty Ferret, which H&W describe as a medium bodied ale with distinct bitterness and subtle floral hop flavour with a biscuity malt backdrop.

Didn't get any of that, and came across as thin and lacking body and taste that you would expect from a 4.4% ale. And the subsequent pint of Tanglefoot walked all over it. Could have been the pub, but as the Badger and Tanglefoot were as expected, I think not.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

TSA Double Espresso Stout. Had it earlier at The Chesterfield Arms. Started well but there was a terrible tang hit home after the first mouthful . Now usually I'd say it was off but there was no 'whiff' and also the pub is Chesterfield CAMRA Pub of the Year; indeed, the other three ales I had were fine...

Anyone else had it??

Avalon Chocolate Orange Stout at The Hobgoblin - dishwater. If you've had Downton Chocolate Orange and enjoyed it - do not drink this.

Red Nectar Ale, a Californian beer, brewed by Matt Brynildson at Shepherd Neame and drunk by me at the Lawrence Sheriff Wetherspoons. A caramel tasting vinegar which I gave up after a half. In fairness it may be that it just wasn't well kept here but it wasn't good. Also in fairness, having left the Red Nectar I moved onto a couple of cracking pints of Oakham Bishops Farewell which at £1.65 gets my quality at value pint of the year.
    Last edited by Thuck Phat; 15-09-2011 at 10:39.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    TSA Double Espresso Stout. Had it earlier at The Chesterfield Arms. Started well but there was a terrible tang hit home after the first mouthful . Now usually I'd say it was off but there was no 'whiff' and also the pub is Chesterfield CAMRA Pub of the Year; indeed, the other three ales I had were fine...

Anyone else had it??
    Hi Quinno

I am pretty positive (99%) i had this at the Hogshead in Wolverhampton (not your favourite!) and it was excellent - spoiled only by the fact my bus arrived early and i had to leave some.
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    Red Nectar Ale, a Californian beer, brewed by Matt Brynildson at Shepherd Neame and drunk by me at the Lawrence Sheriff Wetherspoons. A caramel tasting vinegar which I gave up after a half. In fairness it may be that it just wasn't well kept here but it wasn't good. Also in fairness, having left the Red Nectar I moved onto a couple of cracking pints of Oakham Bishops Farewell which at £1.65 gets my quality at value pint of the year.
    I had a pint of this on Sunday. Thought it was Ok and certainly not vinegary so I reckon you had a dodgy pint.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I had a pint of this on Sunday. Thought it was Ok and certainly not vinegary so I reckon you had a dodgy pint.
    I had some on sunday as well in my local spoons and I thought it a fine beer, looks like yours was off TP

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I had some on sunday as well in my local spoons and I thought it a fine beer, looks like yours was off TP
    I had a pint last night at JDW's Ford Madox Brown, Manchester and I thought it a pretty decent beer too...

I've got one to avoid,

Millstone Old Git

fairly dreadful, appley and sourish but no not vinegar just p..s poor beer, had in the Dragon in Worcester so certainly not bad keeping to blame.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I've got one to avoid,

Millstone Old Git

fairly dreadful, appley and sourish but no not vinegar just p..s poor beer, had in the Dragon in Worcester so certainly not bad keeping to blame.
    Wow! I've not had a dodgy Millstone brew yet, & I'm fairly sure I've tried this one. Surprised, W.Norwood.