Ads not shown when logged in
Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    Brains Milkwood, undrinkable. I managed about 1/3 of a pint. One of the regulars suggested it was an 'acquired taste', not one I wish to acquire.
    most odd, I acquired the taste for it so quickly it was my BOTW last week. A regular in the pub I was drinking it in threatened me if I finished "his" barrel of Milkwood .

Hilden beers well yes that's a different matter - definitely crap.

Crondall - was helping LocAle judging at the Reading beer fest and decided to seek out the lowest scoring beer. It was theirs and it really was quite appalling!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Aaaw shucks! Just when I was gonna sign up to my responsible alcohol course, it gets snatched from my grasp...

I've tried a few beers from Burton Bridge over the last few months and they've ranged from disappointing to undrinkable so I'm afraid it's time to name and shame. Burton Bridge Waywiser was the most recent and was dreary and unpleasant, couldn't finish it. A shame, as given its location, I was expecting good beer from this brewery.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

My easy nomination is not for the Fullers beer, generally, but for the version dispensed last week at The View, in South Croydon. Clips for Doombar and Adnams (I think) were reverse cliipped (seemingly 'waiting for delivery', hmm...) leaving just London Pride at £3.10. Came up mostly clear but was soon found to be, well, bobotm (not week, maybe to be escalated to year!). Since the presumed landlord had already greeted my one clip decision delay with "don't look at me like that", and the fact that there were no other beers, this was a short visit with our 2 unfinished pints left on bar. Maybe this is more relevant to bapotw!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    My easy nomination is not for the Fullers beer, generally, but for the version dispensed last week at The View, in South Croydon. Clips for Doombar and Adnams (I think) were reverse cliipped (seemingly 'waiting for delivery', hmm...) leaving just London Pride at £3.10. Came up mostly clear but was soon found to be, well, bobotm (not week, maybe to be escalated to year!). Since the presumed landlord had already greeted my one clip decision delay with "don't look at me like that", and the fact that there were no other beers, this was a short visit with our 2 unfinished pints left on bar. Maybe this is more relevant to bapotw!
    Think yourself lucky, at least you could go elsewhere for something better. I recently had the misfortune to spend an evening of drinking in Brackley, Northamptonshire. Eight town centre pubs, one almost with a half decent choice of beer, the others were two with Greene King in drinkable condition, all right if you like that sort of thing, a Wells pub with reasonably kept beer and the rest dross either poor or undrinkable. In one memorable pub I thought I'd been given cider by mistake. Thank god for a nice cold Cobra or two in the curry house.

So that's 50% dross, 50% uninspiring, I'd call that Bloody Awful TOWN of the Month.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I've had crap pints of Pride the last couple of times I've been in the View, so now I've given up on it and go to the Crown and Sceptre instead - always a good pint in there.

I tried a half of Art Brew iBeer at Derby beer festival.

A massive vanilla hit and really really sweet.

I couldn't get the vanilla taste out of the glass without giving it a full scale wash.

A crap name for a crap beer.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I've already said it elsewhere but my OCD insists I put here

Suprisingly BABOTW this week was Thornbridge Alchemy, fairly thin (especially for a 5% beer) and obnoxious stuff, no idea what they were trying to acheive but it fails.

Close second was Brewdog Punk IPA but in the "Craft Keg" version , I had another of their craft kegs a while ago and that was as bad , if this is the craft beer revolution Brewdog talk about then they know where to stuff it .

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post

Close second was Brewdog Punk IPA but in the "Craft Keg" version , I had another of their craft kegs a while ago and that was as bad , if this is the craft beer revolution Brewdog talk about then they know where to stuff it .
    I nearly typed I've not yet had the pleasure, but that's obviously not the phrase to use! Will probably still try a couple out of curiosity, but I'm in no rush.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.