Ads not shown when logged in
Page 17 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

A nomination by the three of us drinking it, Durham White Stout 7.2% in the House of the Trembling Madness in York.

Foul taste. It was on at the Leeds beer festival and we didn't try it there, but I have checked the tasting notes and they say "A very pale full bodied strong beer. Columbus hops are used to give massive tropical fruit and resinous character." Yuk.

I thought I had sweet soapy water in my mouth at first, but it was the resin coming through that hit the palate with an unpleasant flavour.

We will be in Durham next week, so if I see it on anywhere, I might ask for a taster just to see if it was the pub or the beer.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    A nomination by the three of us drinking it, Durham White Stout 7.2% in the House of the Trembling Madness in York.

Foul taste. It was on at the Leeds beer festival and we didn't try it there, but I have checked the tasting notes and they say "A very pale full bodied strong beer. Columbus hops are used to give massive tropical fruit and resinous character." Yuk.

I thought I had sweet soapy water in my mouth at first, but it was the resin coming through that hit the palate with an unpleasant flavour.

We will be in Durham next week, so if I see it on anywhere, I might ask for a taster just to see if it was the pub or the beer.
    I've only had it in bottles and it was fine and I would not call it sweet or watery. I've got a bottle in the cupboard at the moment so I'll try it again later on.

Now Black Sheep "All Creatures" that's a fairly foul brew and my BABOTW.

OK. I took on the bottle in the cupboard after a trip round Richmond this lunchtime.......

Definiately too much carbonation in the bottled version but it is bottle conditioned so here goes, there is a very slight sweetness but under a big big USA hoppy and admittedly resinous flavour, but there's bags of body and I loved it. I can see how a less than perfect cask, or a cask end could be distasteful as Gill describes, a bit odd for the House of Trembling Madness which has a fairly solid reputation.
    My BABOTW is still Black Sheep All Creatures.

I'll stay on me own

My bad beer of the week goes to Brewdog 5 am Saint tried in Brewdogs new pub in Nottingham.

The beer was far to fizzy ime glad i only had a third of a pint,i would never have managed a pint.

I had two of the most terrible pints I've ever been served this week - Nelson Pinnacle in the Honest Lawyer, Scunthorpe and Kissinggate Chennai Premium IPA in the George, Croydon.

The Pinnacle in particular was really unpleasant - it may well rank (no pun intended) as the worst beer I've ever had. I tried other beers in both pubs which were fine, so I'm not convinced it was a quality issue. Such is the lot of the real ale drinker...I guess you never know when you're gong to get a stinker.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    I had two of the most terrible pints I've ever been served this week - Nelson Pinnacle in the Honest Lawyer, Scunthorpe and Kissinggate Chennai Premium IPA in the George, Croydon.

The Pinnacle in particular was really unpleasant - it may well rank (no pun intended) as the worst beer I've ever had. I tried other beers in both pubs which were fine, so I'm not convinced it was a quality issue. Such is the lot of the real ale drinker...I guess you never know when you're gong to get a stinker.
    I feel your pain, having suffered at the hands of these two myself

• Nelson at JDW Victoria a year or two back (thought it was probably the beer but, given the venue, couldn't be sure)
    • Kissingate from the local beer shop - a pale ale of some sort apparently with lemongrass, but it had more than a hint of TCP as far as I was concerned - and I'd bought four pints of the stuff. Apparently, many customers wondered "if it was supposed to taste like that". Thanks for the Chennai tip-off - they're local and often in the Beer Essentials.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Nelson Pinnacle! I had some of that a while back at the Three Guineas in Reading. Toilet Duck!

Shepherd Neame Spitfire drunk here. I used to quite like Spitfire but it's certainly changed since the last time I tried it. Sour and slightly vinegary. Undrinkable and that, I'm sure, wasn't down to how it was kept as there was a fair amount pulled off before my crystal clear pint was presented and everything else tried was in good nick.

A real disappointment and no longer a fall back beer.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    ...no longer a fall back beer.
    I thought they all were, if you drank enough of them.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.