Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

Hybrid View

Default Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

As we have a best beer of the week thread I thought that maybe we should have the complete opposite as well.

Inspired???? by the bloody awful pint of Hildens Gael Rua I had in the Regal Moon last night.

Nothing wrong with the way the beer was kept it's just a crap beer. Sweaty Socks anyone?

My opinion has been confirmed by Millay who had a pint of it 200 miles away from me and it was still bloody awful.

Hang your heads in shame Hilden Brewery, you must have known it was crap before it went out of the door.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

It's all a matter of taste but I've had a lot worse than the Gael Rua. My recent travels have thrown up a couple of ales from Brentwood Brewery (IPA and Spooky Moon) and they were absolutely tasteless and flavourless. I'd have been better off with tap water.

Teetotal

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    It's all a matter of taste but I've had a lot worse than the Gael Rua. My recent travels have thrown up a couple of ales from Brentwood Brewery (IPA and Spooky Moon) and they were absolutely tasteless and flavourless. I'd have been better off with tap water.
    I can't get on with Dorking No 1. Tried it in a few different pubs but it always tastes like stale home brew.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Aaaw shucks! Just when I was gonna sign up to my responsible alcohol course, it gets snatched from my grasp...

I've tried a few beers from Burton Bridge over the last few months and they've ranged from disappointing to undrinkable so I'm afraid it's time to name and shame. Burton Bridge Waywiser was the most recent and was dreary and unpleasant, couldn't finish it. A shame, as given its location, I was expecting good beer from this brewery.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

My easy nomination is not for the Fullers beer, generally, but for the version dispensed last week at The View, in South Croydon. Clips for Doombar and Adnams (I think) were reverse cliipped (seemingly 'waiting for delivery', hmm...) leaving just London Pride at £3.10. Came up mostly clear but was soon found to be, well, bobotm (not week, maybe to be escalated to year!). Since the presumed landlord had already greeted my one clip decision delay with "don't look at me like that", and the fact that there were no other beers, this was a short visit with our 2 unfinished pints left on bar. Maybe this is more relevant to bapotw!

A bloody awful pint of Doom Bar which I knew would probably be bloody awful before I tried it , unfortunate but lack of choice drove me to it. Wont bother next time.

Mrs Quinno and I went to the theatre for her birthday yesterday and we ended up in The Bear & Staff for a pre-match bevvy. I went for St Austell Pale Ale ('brewed exclusively for Nicholsons'). If ever a beer spectacularly failed to match its description, this was it. I almost wonder if it was said beer at all...brown, bland and forgettable. Anyone else tried it? The condition of it was fairly weak which didn't help matters...

I know Tribute has started to become a bit mainstream these days but it's still a damn fine pint when looked after properly.

Not tried the new Pale yet, but I'm a bit surprised about the condition you found it in as the Bear & Staff has always been one of the best Nicholsons in term of beer quality. Mind you, as a chain, they seem to have generally upped their game over the last few years so perhaps this one is slipping back a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Mrs Quinno and I went to the theatre for her birthday yesterday and we ended up in The Bear & Staff for a pre-match bevvy. I went for St Austell Pale Ale ('brewed exclusively for Nicholsons'). If ever a beer spectacularly failed to match its description, this was it. I almost wonder if it was said beer at all...brown, bland and forgettable. Anyone else tried it? The condition of it was fairly weak which didn't help matters...

I know Tribute has started to become a bit mainstream these days but it's still a damn fine pint when looked after properly.
    I had a pint in The Old Bell Tavern last week - I thought it was okay, quite drinkable but not all that exciting. There have been a few beers brewed especially for Nicholson's over the years and none of them have been all that memorable (unless I've missed a belter somewhere along the line).