Ads not shown when logged in
Page 44 of 58 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I don't often post a BABOTW of my own on here as most rubbish beer (excluding sours) is poor because for whatever reason it's not been served in good condition. On my last night in Wales I was determined to try the budget option which was Hancock's HB. There seems to be doubt about the strength of it, I'm sure it said 3.5% in the pub, Google reveals 3.6% and the GBG says 3.7%. Whatever, it cost £2.40 and wasn't worth half of that. It came up clear, fresh and looked fine. The trouble was that the only taste was a weak malty flavour with no hop flavour or aroma whatsoever. It made the usual roll call of boring brown beers seem positively interesting. It's brewed by Brains for the global abomination Molson Coors. I can only think that Brains must think that because it doesn't have their name on it people won't associate it with them.
    Used to show up in M&B (in their Six Continents period) pubs all over the place 10 or 15 years ago, and indeed I see Beermad reports it as a defunct (obviously not) ex Bass affair. It struck me at the time as a undemanding session beer, little you could say for or against it. But even if its the same stuff it probably wouldn't be worth a second look nowadays. Unless the other pump is London bleedin Pride.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I don't often post a BABOTW of my own on here as most rubbish beer (excluding sours) is poor because for whatever reason it's not been served in good condition. On my last night in Wales I was determined to try the budget option which was Hancock's HB. There seems to be doubt about the strength of it, I'm sure it said 3.5% in the pub, Google reveals 3.6% and the GBG says 3.7%. Whatever, it cost £2.40 and wasn't worth half of that. It came up clear, fresh and looked fine. The trouble was that the only taste was a weak malty flavour with no hop flavour or aroma whatsoever. It made the usual roll call of boring brown beers seem positively interesting. It's brewed by Brains for the global abomination Molson Coors. I can only think that Brains must think that because it doesn't have their name on it people won't associate it with them.
    Brains do seem to have a house style that is very hop light and dominated by malt,so maybe no surprise that the Hancocks HB fell into this category.I generally swerve when I see a Brains pumpclip,but that's just my taste.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Brains do seem to have a house style that is very hop light and dominated by malt,so maybe no surprise that the Hancocks HB fell into this category.I generally swerve when I see a Brains pumpclip,but that's just my taste.
    As it happens I visited a couple of Brain's tied pubs while up there and tried their ordinary bitter in both. I was really surprised that it had a decent taste and was very drinkable. It won't win any awards but it was far better than the watery tasting concoction I remember from way back. I would still go for the Dark if available in a tied house but would feel happier if cornered into having the ordinary bitter.

Perhaps an easy target but I haven't tried it for quite some time and it's definitely gone downhill despite my pint being very well kept.

BABOTW GK Abbot

Hop free sugar water with a fair bit less flavour than the last time I had one. Not nice and a real struggle to finish the pint.
    Last edited by Thuck Phat; 09-03-2015 at 12:53.

Just to pre-warn those of us in Yorkshire this week, give this one a miss

Naylors Brewery "Martha's Chocolate Milk Stout"

Tastes like cheap drinking chocolate and it's rather nasty, put me off taking any more beer this evening even to wash my mouth out,

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    ...put me off taking any more beer this evening even to wash my mouth out,
    Dear God. It must have been appalling!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Tickety Brew New Zealand Pale Ale, how on earth anyone can like this beer is beyond me , it was in good condition yet tastes bloody awful,just bitter tasting dishwater, they seem to admit some deficiency's here. Its been on at my local pub since Monday, I dont think I've seen anyone finish a pint yet, myself included, let alone like the vile stuff.
    BABOTW.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 25-07-2015 at 10:55.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Ticketybrew are just crap brewers, no excuses, no good beer, they're just crap.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Hadn't heard of them,looks like they are being too ambitious-Belgian yeast, NZhops. Stick with what you know.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

I had Big Wheel, a pale blonde beer brewed by Funfair Brewing, at Ye Olde Bulls Head Inn in Beaumaris recently. First impression was lemon, then a sweetness that reminded me of lemonade, then a sort of lagerish maltiness that could easily be dismissed as a figment of the imagination. This is what lager top tastes like, isn't it? I'm just guessing, of course, I've never drunk one - until now! We had to leave half of our beer and order some Hancocks HB to take away the taste.
    Come On You Hatters!