Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

Default Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

As we have a best beer of the week thread I thought that maybe we should have the complete opposite as well.

Inspired???? by the bloody awful pint of Hildens Gael Rua I had in the Regal Moon last night.

Nothing wrong with the way the beer was kept it's just a crap beer. Sweaty Socks anyone?

My opinion has been confirmed by Millay who had a pint of it 200 miles away from me and it was still bloody awful.

Hang your heads in shame Hilden Brewery, you must have known it was crap before it went out of the door.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

It's all a matter of taste but I've had a lot worse than the Gael Rua. My recent travels have thrown up a couple of ales from Brentwood Brewery (IPA and Spooky Moon) and they were absolutely tasteless and flavourless. I'd have been better off with tap water.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    As we have a best beer of the week thread I thought that maybe we should have the complete opposite as well.

Inspired???? by the bloody awful pint of Hildens Gael Rua I had in the Regal Moon last night.

Nothing wrong with the way the beer was kept it's just a crap beer. Sweaty Socks anyone?

My opinion has been confirmed by Millay who had a pint of it 200 miles away from me and it was still bloody awful.

Hang your heads in shame Hilden Brewery, you must have known it was crap before it went out of the door.
    I can confirm that, it was a taste difficult to describe really. I think everyone should seek out this beer and try it (I'd suggest a half) so that we can confirm that it is bloody awful all round the country.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Ok not exactly this week but recently on our tour of Wapping and Limehouse pubs, we encountered Ridley's Old Bob. I had a good idea that Ridleys was no longer an operational brewery, however the three of us ordered it as it was different. It turned out to be a GK brew, and at 3% abv. Thin and with that dull GK taste, it was our own fault, schoolboy error. I've just Googled Old Bob and it seems the authentic Ridley's version was a premium ale at 5.1%.....what happened there then?

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Ok not exactly this week but recently on our tour of Wapping and Limehouse pubs, we encountered Ridley's Old Bob. I had a good idea that Ridleys was no longer an operational brewery, however the three of us ordered it as it was different. It turned out to be a GK brew, and at 3% abv. Thin and with that dull GK taste, it was our own fault, schoolboy error. I've just Googled Old Bob and it seems the authentic Ridley's version was a premium ale at 5.1%.....what happened there then?
    We came across this in St Albans on Saturday (I thought it was called Little Bob but I am prone to errors when fighting my way through bars packed with rugby fans in attempts to glimpse the beer clips). I didn't try it so I can't vouch for it on the tasteometer.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I have just returned from Havant, and the worst pint was London Pride in The Star, not only was it keg, no other choice, but it didn't taste much like LP I have had elswhere

Had a half of it with me breakfast this morning in the McSpoons by the bus station in High Wycombe and the barman was rather apologetic even before he served it. Ugh would be an understatement. Me mate "fat beer badger" was of the same opinion. I think McSpoons may not be having Hilden again after this.

This Space For Hire

It's not difficult to be confronted by an entire selection of bloody awful beers of the week. You only have to be enter some wretch of a Sussex VintageEmberHarvesterTobyBeefeater whereupon your hopes, raised by the 'Locale' sticker on the door are dashed by the wondrous selection of Pride, GKIPA, Broadmoor (sorry Broadside) and to justify the locale bit something like K&B Sussex (that it's no longer made in Horsham cuts no ice) or if you are a bit further west some other H&W unpleasantness. The Guinness pump calls.

Why pub chains insist on doing this to us I've no idea.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 18-03-2010 at 20:31.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Point taken Nick, but surely a pint of a regular if uninteresting beer is better than a cold fake pint like draught Guinness?

Teetotal

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    It's all a matter of taste but I've had a lot worse than the Gael Rua. My recent travels have thrown up a couple of ales from Brentwood Brewery (IPA and Spooky Moon) and they were absolutely tasteless and flavourless. I'd have been better off with tap water.
    I can't get on with Dorking No 1. Tried it in a few different pubs but it always tastes like stale home brew.