Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drink nicknames

Default Drink nicknames

I found a little bottle of Black Absinthe a few days ago that was tucked away in a draw and it reminded me of the old clubbing days when I used to go to my local (yes the duke) where the governor would goad me and my pals into knocking back some green fairies. I think the name came from the wormwood (not included anymore) which gave hallucinations and green colouring.

I thought that it would be interesting to compile a list of drink nick/slang names and a history of where they arose from.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Back in my clubbing days (early 80s) pre vodka/red bulls we used to drink Spangles , Coke , Orange Juice and vodka , it looked awfull but tasted just like the old Spangle sweets you used to get .
    Another one was Passion Flower , 1080 cider , stella and pernod and black , tasted like ribena .
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

I remember drinking half stellas and Smirnoff Ice - Turbo Shandies they were called. It did start to get silly when the Watermelon Bacardi Breezer started to be used instead of the Smirnoff.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

This Space For Hire

There's all the old ones of course: Bishop's Finger > Nun's Delight; Shepherd Neame > Shit'n'scream; Fuller, Smith and Turner > Fuller Shit'n'Turnips.

And so on.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Hardly original, but Federation Legend was always ordered as Leg End, it was funny after after a few of them

Half scrumpy, half ale, dash of blackcurrant = snakebite & black. Illegal to serve I think because it mixes cider with beer. That's what we used to get told at the pubs that wouldn't serve it too us...

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Snakebite was just foul, a cloudy concoction just designed to get people drunk. A student fashion if I recall.

A lads holiday once in Cornwall, some locals pointed us towards rough scrumpy with a red wine top. It went down well, but came back up even more quickly!

Round our way Snakebite was always made with lager rather than bitter.

Splits were still popular when I was a lad, Boilers (Brown & MILD), Black & Tan (Guinness and Bitter (?)) Granny split (can't remember ingredients), Light Split (Bitter & Light Ale), Of course part of the attraction was that the barmaid would usually pull more than a half into a pint glass and the bottle would be a half pint, our tight landlady always filled a half pint glass and tipped that into a pint glass

Poor Mans Black Velvet (Guinness and Cider instead of champange - allegedly invented to put the champange into mourning when Prince Albert died - oh there's another bit of slang.) Guinness put out some advertising in the mid 1970s showing various mixes using Guinness, we tried them all of course and they were mainly rubbish.

Cordials in beer had a fad, Guinness and Black, Lager and Lime, Bitter Top (or Bitter Dash) and Lager Top, you still see the odd L&L drinker but I haven't seen anyone drink Guinness and Black or any kind of top lately.

For an earlier generation there was "wallop" and "four-ale" meaning, I think, beer in general and MILD respectively.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I know locally Carling, Fosters, John Smiths and Worthington are known as pis*, does that count?
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    I know locally Carling, Fosters, John Smiths and Worthington are known as pis*, does that count?
    that reminds me Greenall Whitley was always known as .....guess what Greenall Shitley