Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pub Of The Month - May 2014

Default Pub Of The Month - May 2014

A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire

Easy choice this month.Its got to be Craft Beer Co Covent Garden . Quality beer, quality interior and a couple of free beers from the owner.

It's an easy choice for me as well and possibly couldn't be any more different from the previous selection.
    It's The Compasses at Littley Green in Essex, a pub I first discovered over 35 years ago when it was the Ridley's brewery tap.
    It's awkward to get to being a short mile walk from the old brewery where there is an infrequent bus from Chelmsford but is well worth the effort. It's a classic example of how an old country pub can be modernised without completely ruining it.

Has to be The Craft Islington aided and abetted by the excellent Siren Craft Undercurrent earlier this month.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It's an easy choice for me as well and possibly couldn't be any more different from the previous selection.
    It's The Compasses at Littley Green in Essex, a pub I first discovered over 35 years ago when it was the Ridley's brewery tap.
    It's awkward to get to being a short mile walk from the old brewery where there is an infrequent bus from Chelmsford but is well worth the effort. It's a classic example of how an old country pub can be modernised without completely ruining it.
    Been on my list for ages!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Tricky one for me and it's a 3 way choice between Titanic's finest, The Royal Exchange in Stone, The Redwillow in Macclesfield and The Coachmakers in Hanley.

I'm sure that I've nominated The Royal Exchange before. The Redwillow is very modern and The Coachmakers, at the other end of the scale, is deeply traditional and although they couldn't be more different, both are very good and well worth a visit.

POTM The Coachmakers Arms in Hanley.

Although I've not been in pubs much this month due to holidays and work I am spoiled for choice between two reopenings, the Flying Duck in Ilkley is Wharfedale's brewery tap (the kit is in a rear outbuilding) and Ossett's latest York pub the Fox in Holgate. A hard choice but The Fox just edges ahead (disclaimer:- nothing to do with the free pint and food supplied by Ossett at the opening do, honest).

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

The Fountain Inn Enjoyed our visit here, nice traditional pub with a decent ale selection

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

A difficult choice this month. If based purely on beer, I'd probably give The Swan, Hammersmith the nod. However, I loved the atmosphere in the Lamb & Flag, Covent Garden, particularly as it was the meeting point for a reunion with my old college flatmates, the first time we'd all drunk together in over twenty years.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Treacle Tap.

My third visit and just as good as ever,they select their ale carefully from leading microbrewers and two Blue Monkey pump clips set the pulse racing on the latest visit.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson