Ads not shown when logged in
Page 33 of 238 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another list

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Southwark beers -NO
    Only tried two of theirs, Bermondsy Best (dont like) and Bankside Blonde(OK but nothing special).
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Default 30 Country Pubs That Are Worth Leaving The City For.

In this case, the city is Leeds, with the list drawn up by local events mag Leeds-List.

https://leeds-list.com/food-and-drin...-the-city-for/

I've definitely been to 8, with vague memories of a couple of others.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    In this case, the city is Leeds, with the list drawn up by local events mag Leeds-List.

Just the one for me,The Boathouse Inn,Saltaire and well before my reviewing days
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post

Only 4 possibly 5 but I've driven past all of the others, mostly food places by the looks of it, as usual.

A bit far from Leeds for some of them.
    Last edited by oldboots; 29-08-2016 at 15:29.

A big fat zero for me as Yorkshire is a County I've not been around much. It partly goes back to the old days when Webster's and Tetley's had a stranglehold.

This conversation from the Yet another list thread is in danger of being lost, so as it hasn't as yet been moved by those that have the power ,I have done this, and pasted the page link onto the Pub Crawl section, entitled London In Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I've often thought that there ought to be a pretty good crawl to be had around the central parts of London using existing tube and overground railways. Someone with better knowledge of the worthwhile pubs should propose it for a PuG crawl - how about next March?

Just taking as examples some of the few pubs on this list that I've actually been to: The Southampton Arms is a brisk five minute stroll from Gospel Oak station; Tapping the Admiral is even closer to Kentish Town West; Euston Tap is obviously handily placed for a number of lines; The Old Red Cow is not far from Barbican.

Looking at the map handily embedded in the list, there's the Draft House Charlotte just round the corner from Goodge Street tube; The Harp is easily reached from Leicester Square; Farrs School of Dancing is pretty close to Dalston Junction.

Of course I'm not in any way saying that the above examples should be on a crawl, they are just examples of how London's existing transport links could easily be exploited for a potentially excellent crawl. It's just a matter of picking a round dozen of the best and working out a route. Volunteers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I would certainly be up for this if we went for it, I could look at a couple of proposed routes but I reckon London Calling is your man, he certainly pulled out some corkers on the last two trips I've joined him on,
    John?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I stuck this crawl along the North London Overground line on the site recently.I am sure it can be improved upon,but I put it up as a starter for 10.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/crawl/vi...php?crawl=1284
    I have done plenty of trips on the London Overground line but the problem is the trains are at set times and if you dawdle cause you like a pub you miss the train then wait ages for the next one.On a pubs galore trip it would be tricky.The tubes are more consistent but you have a lot of walking down and then up at a lot of stations.Adds a lot of time on between pubs.The best bet is buses.There is a great list of pubs accessed by the no 38. I will post some later this week.As there are quite a few Galoreateers who post about London it may be difficult to get new (good)pubs and may be more of a social thing for them.London in March suits me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I can do social.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    With london calling leading the charge,so can I
    I have almost no experience of London buses. I tend to think they're more likely to get stuck in traffic than trains are, but maybe that's just me.
    BTW, can someone with the know-how please move this section of the Yet another list thread to the more appropriate Pub Crawls sub-forum? Ta ever so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Buses are generally OK in the suburbs and outside the weekday times of 15:00-18:00. The suburbs would not include Inner areas like Southern Hackney or Islington. You're right if there's a convenient tube, Overground or less preferably a Rail Station then that's the best option. All but one of the local pubs I go to are too far to walk and I mostly get to them by bus (even the one clos enough to walk!). Of course complete ignorance of the routes makes it difficult just like anywhere else but even a little knowledge helps a lot. At least London buses are fully documented!
    Buses stop outside lots of pubs and of course bus lanes help.I prefer buses and have found some good pubs spotted from the top deck.Last night the tube temperature must have been in the 90,s.We don't need night tube we need aircon.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 30-08-2016 at 19:28.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Only 1/16 The Firbank, Manchester. About 40 years ago!

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/R...hen-Manchester

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25909/

Not added to What?ub by my old Trafford & Hulme branch in either Real, Keg, or closed state! Perhaps three arson attacks and one bullet attack in a year has scared them off!
    Last review from Fearless Al in 1995 (apart from the landlord scoring it 10)

This "Best Community Pub Winner" seems to suffer from some of the worst community thugs nearby!

PS:- Shows 3 handpumps on website picture, but only advertises John Smith's Smooth on drinks menu.
    Last edited by AlanH; 06-10-2016 at 15:23.

4 for me.

Sheffield Tap, Foleys, Cartford & The Botanist.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Just 2 ;Foley's and Sheffield Tap.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson