Ads not shown when logged in
Page 32 of 238 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another list

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I've often thought that there ought to be a pretty good crawl to be had around the central parts of London using existing tube and overground railways. Someone with better knowledge of the worthwhile pubs should propose it for a PuG crawl - how about next March?

Just taking as examples some of the few pubs on this list that I've actually been to: The Southampton Arms is a brisk five minute stroll from Gospel Oak station; Tapping the Admiral is even closer to Kentish Town West; Euston Tap is obviously handily placed for a number of lines; The Old Red Cow is not far from Barbican.

Looking at the map handily embedded in the list, there's the Draft House Charlotte just round the corner from Goodge Street tube; The Harp is easily reached from Leicester Square; Farrs School of Dancing is pretty close to Dalston Junction.

Of course I'm not in any way saying that the above examples should be on a crawl, they are just examples of how London's existing transport links could easily be exploited for a potentially excellent crawl. It's just a matter of picking a round dozen of the best and working out a route. Volunteers?
    Surely you could not afford a drink in the Old Red Cow ?
    Last edited by london calling; 23-08-2016 at 21:02.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I have done plenty of trips on the London Overground line but the problem is the trains are at set times and if you dawdle cause you like a pub you miss the train then wait ages for the next one.On a pubs galore trip it would be tricky.The tubes are more consistent but you have a lot of walking down and then up at a lot of stations.Adds a lot of time on between pubs.The best bet is buses.There is a great list of pubs accessed by the no 38. I will post some later this week.As there are quite a few Galoreateers who post about London it may be difficult to get new (good)pubs and may be more of a social thing for them.London in March suits me.
    I can do social.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I can do social.
    With london calling leading the charge,so can I
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I have done plenty of trips on the London Overground line but the problem is the trains are at set times and if you dawdle cause you like a pub you miss the train then wait ages for the next one.On a pubs galore trip it would be tricky.The tubes are more consistent but you have a lot of walking down and then up at a lot of stations.Adds a lot of time on between pubs.The best bet is buses.There is a great list of pubs accessed by the no 38. I will post some later this week.As there are quite a few Galoreateers who post about London it may be difficult to get new (good)pubs and may be more of a social thing for them.London in March suits me.
    I have almost no experience of London buses. I tend to think they're more likely to get stuck in traffic than trains are, but maybe that's just me.
    Come On You Hatters!

BTW, can someone with the know-how please move this section of the Yet another list thread to the more appropriate Pub Crawls sub-forum? Ta ever so.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I have almost no experience of London buses. I tend to think they're more likely to get stuck in traffic than trains are, but maybe that's just me.
    Buses are generally OK in the suburbs and outside the weekday times of 15:00-18:00. The suburbs would not include Inner areas like Southern Hackney or Islington. You're right if there's a convenient tube, Overground or less preferably a Rail Station then that's the best option. All but one of the local pubs I go to are too far to walk and I mostly get to them by bus (even the one clos enough to walk!). Of course complete ignorance of the routes makes it difficult just like anywhere else but even a little knowledge helps a lot. At least London buses are fully documented!

This Space For Hire

Buses stop outside lots of pubs and of course bus lanes help.I prefer buses and have found some good pubs spotted from the top deck.Last night the tube temperature must have been in the 90,s.We don't need night tube we need aircon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    That one's Here. Not been there myself and the recent beers mentioned by psm, don't really get me going.
    They are showcasing beers from Southwark Brewery this weekend (Fri - Sun) if that appeals more? Makes a good double header with Antwerp Arms

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    They are showcasing beers from Southwark Brewery this weekend (Fri - Sun) if that appeals more? Makes a good double header with Antwerp Arms
    Unfortunately I'm Working all weekend.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    Southwark beers -NO