Ads not shown when logged in
Page 223 of 238 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223224225233 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,230 of 2371

Thread: Yet another list

Default 34 of Yorkshire's greatest pubs you need to visit at least once in your life

A newly published list of Yorkshire's 34 Greatest Pubs, at least one of which has already closed and reopened under a different name; several are listed in the wrong town (this one is under Scarborough, but it's near Filey - and not even the Scarborough side of Filey); several village pubs listed under the postal town (Shibden, Hatfield, Spofforth and Goathland, for example); and a few typos (Heldon, Bardsley - why is it an extra L both times?) to show that it's yet another piece of work experience journalism.

I've been to 18, but would struggle to recommend going back to more than half a dozen of those. Maybe I'll try getting to some of the others over the course of the summer.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    A newly published list of Yorkshire's 34 Greatest Pubs, at least one of which has already closed and reopened under a different name; several are listed in the wrong town (this one is under Scarborough, but it's near Filey - and not even the Scarborough side of Filey); several village pubs listed under the postal town (Shibden, Hatfield, Spofforth and Goathland, for example); and a few typos (Heldon, Bardsley - why is it an extra L both times?) to show that it's yet another piece of work experience journalism.

I've been to 18, but would struggle to recommend going back to more than half a dozen of those. Maybe I'll try getting to some of the others over the course of the summer.
    Just the Tan Hill Inn which is on no Greatest Pubs list that I may or may not maintain. I have been to The Crown, which isn't in Huddersfield, but years ago, and again not on any list of mine. Agreed, sloppy journalism.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Just the Tan Hill Inn which is on no Greatest Pubs list that I may or may not maintain. I have been to The Crown, which isn't in Huddersfield, but years ago, and again not on any list of mine. Agreed, sloppy journalism.
    Is there anything actually special about the Tann Hill Inn other than that it's a pub with altitude? Every year there's some lazy news story about people being trapped by the snow, but I often wonder just how many read the weather forecast before jumping into their cars with the intention of getting stuck and then droning on about it ad infinitum; I always though the place was famous for its double glazing.
    Last edited by Tris39; 11-04-2023 at 18:53.

I have been to The Crown, which isn't in Huddersfield, but years ago, and again not on any list of mine. Agreed, sloppy journalism.
    Yes, it says Crown, Hawes but then goes on to refer to Westgate and Huddersfield. There is a Crown there, and the description seems a better match for that one than the one in Hawes. (I must admit I didn't read that paragraph properly, and just put it down to Hawes, which I have visited. If it's the Huddersfield one that was intended, that would knock me down to just 17.)
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Is there anything actually special about the Tan Hill Inn other than that it's a pub with altitude?
    Better altitude than attitude, though this one possibly has both.
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Just 3 ,agreed very sloppy work.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

None at all though I have walked past the Old Queens Head more than once, half a point?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

I went there once with a room booked, had a pint, decided against the place and drove back to Stockton!

Much prefer the Red Lion on Blakey Ridge on the way to Kirkbymoorside.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    I went there once with a room booked, had a pint, decided against the place and drove back to Stockton!

Much prefer the Red Lion on Blakey Ridge on the way to Kirkbymoorside.
    I would go if it were nearer and would love to hike out on the wily, windy moors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Is there anything actually special about the Tann Hill Inn other than that it's a pub with altitude?
    Perhaps not, but that's still one more unique selling point than most pubs have?

PS - We enjoyed our visit there on a windswept summer's day in 2021.