Ads not shown when logged in
Page 180 of 235 FirstFirst ... 80130170178179180181182190230 ... LastLast
Results 1,791 to 1,800 of 2350

Thread: Yet another list

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    They deliberately serve short measures in the Chandos, perhaps an instruction from Sams hq. Some idiot tried to tell me it was the law to serve 10% short. I politely requested a top up and the hostile yoot behind the bar then slammed the glass down so hard that the increased volume jumped back out of the glass! Well, I said, you'll have to top that up again now, won't you..?
    Did you go back the next day for a repeat performance? Sounds like fun.
    Come On You Hatters!

They deliberately serve short measures in the Chandos, perhaps an instruction from Sams hq. Some idiot tried to tell me it was the law to serve 10% short. I politely requested a top up and the hostile yoot behind the bar then slammed the glass down so hard that the increased volume jumped back out of the glass! Well, I said, you'll have to top that up again now, won't you..? I only ever went in the place to use the cubby hole dart area, if available.
    The place where I had probably the worst OBB of my life.

The 10% is indeed a papal bull from Mr Humphrey, pubs have been shut and people sacked for ignoring it and giving top ups.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post

The 10% is indeed a papal bull from Mr Humphrey, pubs have been shut and people sacked for ignoring it and giving top ups.
    Incredible! He cannot get away with sacking people for complying, upon request, with the actual law, ie weights & measures..?

Incredible! He cannot get away with sacking people for complying, upon request, with the actual law, ie weights & measures..?
    I think the legislation says a pint of beer should be 95% liquid, ie not including the head, however IIRC that section hasn't actually been activated by the right Minister so local council Weights and Measures departments don't enforce it.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    I'd agree with 'every pub in Bloomsbury'. Used to live there and that sums it up perfectly!
    I was born there but don't remember the event. My favourite Bloomsbury pubs?

The Blue Lion
    The Duke
    The Enterprise
    The Harrison
    The Lamb
    Princess Louise
    The Queens Head
    The Union Tavern

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    I know I've been in The Famous Cock before an Arsenal match. The only memorable thing was the name! I'll have to have a check on the others.
    I don't know when the silly 'Famous' prefix was added, but probably after it was rebuilt in the late '50s following a V1 strike over 10 years earlier.

The 10% is indeed a papal bull from Mr Humphrey...
    Or a load of bull from Mr Humphrey.

Default 10 of the best Kent coast pubs with beer gardens

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Just The Belle Vue at Pegwell Bay, which is ridiculous, and clearly something that needs to be put right soonest!
    Started to put things right on Friday, with visits to:

NB - Would have got to The Berry, Walmer too, had it opened earlier than 16:00.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Default Ten of the Best Yorkshire Dales pubs with outdoor space.

From The Grauniad:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...ce-beer-garden

Rather embarrassingly, only four definitely visited (Cover Bridge Inn, Aysgarth Falls Hotel, Lister Arms, Fountaine Inn), although I have vague memories of the Craven Arms and Falcon Inn. For me, the Red Lion is a classic example of a pub I always intend to visit , but invariably pass on the way to somewhere else!
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 11-05-2021 at 14:30.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    From The Grauniad:

Rather embarrassingly, only four definitely visited (Cover Bridge Inn, Aysgarth Falls Hotel, Lister Arms), although I have vague memories of the Craven Arms and Falcon Inn. For me, the Red Lion is a classic example of a pub I always intend to visit , but invariably pass on the way to somewhere else!
    A rather Wharfedale oriented selection, sticking mostly to Wensleydale and Swaledale means just three for me. I had a cunning plan for the George & Dragon but the plague stopped that.
    Bull
    Coverbridge
    Fountaine

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

I had a cunning plan for the George & Dragon but the plague stopped that.
    Still on my 'to do' list, even though I added the pub to the site back in 2010.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    From The Grauniad:

Rather embarrassingly, only four definitely visited (Cover Bridge Inn, Aysgarth Falls Hotel, Lister Arms, Fountaine Inn), although I have vague memories of the Craven Arms and Falcon Inn. For me, the Red Lion is a classic example of a pub I always intend to visit , but invariably pass on the way to somewhere else!
    Bull-we tend to use this as a launch pad for the tedious slog south.
    Cover Bridge-you know my views!
    Aysgarth Falls-I think I went there when it was the Palmer Flatt, though definitely pre reviewing days.
    George and Dragon-not since the current regime, inexplicably.
    Falcon-really enjoyed this.

I've been trying not to think too much about Yorkshire for the past year.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.