Ads not shown when logged in
Page 163 of 237 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173213 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 2361

Thread: Yet another list

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Absolutely. Youngs was one of a few breweries where "Ordinary" was regularly used for the regular bitter. Gales was another.
    And Brakspears

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    And Brakspears
    And it is very ordinary nowadays.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    And it is very ordinary nowadays.
    Too true, and I have no idea why they decide to retain the 'Ordinary' (now renamed 'Gravity'), rather than the Special, which is what most people drank. The odd brews from the micro-brewery in the Bull serve to remind you of what Braks beers used to be like.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Too true, and I have no idea why they decide to retain the 'Ordinary' (now renamed 'Gravity'), rather than the Special, which is what most people drank. The odd brews from the micro-brewery in the Bull serve to remind you of what Braks beers used to be like.
    Back in the day in their tied houses around Henley the ordinary was much more prevalent. One or two places sold the mild. A lot of their small rural pubs just sold the ordinary.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Back in the day in their tied houses around Henley the ordinary was much more prevalent. One or two places sold the mild. A lot of their small rural pubs just sold the ordinary.
    Agreed. Cut my underage teeth on Ordinary, our local was a Brakspears tied house. It was remained what everyone was on whenever I went back over the next thirty years.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 03-03-2020 at 11:48.

Agreed. Cut my underage teeth on Ordinary, our local was a Brakspears tied house. It was remained what everyone was on whenever I went back over the next thirty years.
    Do you mind me asking which one that was? I completed the Brakspear tour in 1979 but never made it to Ye Lion in Henley. I did manage it to the Old Hatch Gate at Cockpole Green and the Old House at Home at Warren Row which were wonderful places. The favourite venue was the Crooked Billet at Stoke Row which is apparently now a gastro place. Back then it was run by an old bloke Nobby who was quite happy to stay open with you in the afternoon as long as he could join in!
    I've still got one of those old pale blue and yellow guides to Brakspear pubs.
    Finally, an issue of national importance, do you pronounce it correctly (IMO) as "Brakespear" or "Brackspear"? It makes me throw a wobbler when I see it spelt as "Breakspear", similarly with "Weatherspoon"!

This Space For Hire

Do you mind me asking which one that was?
    Finally, an issue of national importance, do you pronounce it correctly (IMO) as "Brakespear" or "Brackspear"? It makes me throw a wobbler when I see it spelt as "Breakspear", similarly with "Weatherspoon"!
    Here

Pronuciation? - you might recall "apply the Brakes"
    Last edited by NickDavies; 03-03-2020 at 23:07.

Here

Pronuciation? - you might recall "apply the Brakes"
    Being close to the Western boundary of the estate, we probably didn't get there more than once or twice. Apart from Henley or a train back towns tended to be off the agenda. Do you remember the outcrop of Gales pubs at Mapledurham? There was the Pack Horse & Pack Saddle on the A4074 and I'm pretty sure the Black Lion near Woodcote was one. Was there a fourth or is that a memory management violation?

This Space For Hire

Do you remember the outcrop of Gales pubs at Mapledurham? There was the Pack Horse & Pack Saddle on the A4074 and I'm pretty sure the Black Lion near Woodcote was one. Was there a fourth or is that a memory management violation?
    There were indeed four, the WhatPub entry for the Fox lists them. I'm sure I used to know why/how Gales acquired them but depletion of brain cells has taken its toll. I think I've got a seventies Oxfordshire Camra guide somewhere, that might shed some light on the matter.

After being diagnosed with a low red blood count I've been on the FourPure Big Milk Stout (for medicinal purposes obviously) and reckon that every can must be the equivalent of half a box of iron tablets or gnawing on some rusty old railings. I'm old enough to remember the old women in early Coronation Street drinking Milk Stout so it must be good.
    I'm never sure when you're joking. There's a reason why this sort of thing is called an Old Wives Tale. Here's a list of dietary improvements you can make if your red blood cell count is low: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319457. Milk is only helpful if it's vitamin B12 deficiency that you are experiencing. And there is no milk in Milk Stout, only lactose (and hence no B12, unfortunately).

If it's iron that is low, here's what you should be eating:

shellfish, such as oysters, clams, and mussels
    fortified cereals
    oysters
    spinach
    chocolate with 45–69% cacao solids
    chickpeas
    tuna
    sardines
    baked potato with the skin attached
    beef liver
    beef
    tofu
    chicken liver
    white beans
    lentils

Good luck with finding a beer with those in!
    Come On You Hatters!