Ads not shown when logged in
Page 160 of 237 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170210 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 2361

Thread: Yet another list

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Yes agree with that, wouldn't normally go near any of them nowadays.
    I had a Pumphouse Pale in the George JDW yesterday and it was OK but wouldn't go near it at normal prices. Perversely I saw this in a Loughborough Tap / Micropub. The Landlord had never seen or heard of it so got some in. He wasn't too pleased to learn that it was often seen for just over 2 quid in London JDWs.

This Space For Hire

[QUOTE=rpadam;105595] it is now entirely possible to regularly visit Young's pubs and find staff (let alone customers) who suffer the misapprehension that Young & Co's Brewery Plc have something to do with the so-called "London Original" and "London Special" special they are serving (or drinking). /QUOTE]

If you follow any planning squabble or pub closure related discussion on local FB pages most people inevitably refer to "the brewery" despite the fact that the owner of the pub hadn't owned in a brewery in decades. Most of the people who hold strident views on their local pub turning into flats haven't entered it in decades either.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Indeed, even the current www.youngsbeers.co.uk website would leave most people none the wiser (unless they read the small print, rather than swallowing the "London will always be Young's - Estd 1831" guff). I'd seriously think about reporting them to trading standards if I had more time!
    I would gladly find time to take this to Trading Standards but sadly I don't think there's a case. "London will always be Young's - Estd 1831" doesn't really say anything other than that the company was established in London in 1831. The brewery section is careful to point out that the brewing now takes place in Bedford but they don't mention by Marston. However, I'm sure they do have a say in the brewing process just as Mouldy Corpse do with Bass. I was told that Marston wanted to use the Union fermenters for Bass but MC wouldn't let them. As for the London Original & Special, I suspect they've had the legality of it looked into. GK make a beer called London Glory despite the fact that only 45 years ago the Builders Arms at New Barnet was their only London tied outlet and to the best of my knowledge the nearest they've brewed to London is Biggleswade and Furneux Pelham.
    Some years ago I took the case of Magners cider to the Trading Standards but they justified their claims as they do own some Bramley apple orchards in NI.
    I'm hoping that Wells will redeem themselves with their new brewery. Back in the 1970s they did a strong bitter called Wells Fargo that was designed to take the wind out of the sails of Ruddles County. They discomtinurd it for the inferior Bombardier which is now a Marston beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    ....Ordinary at the time that Youngs brewing in Wandsworth ceased.

I used to love Young's Ordinary back in the day.Haven't had the resolve to try the Bedford versions, except once when I found Special to be incredibly sweet. Has/will Fuller Smith and Turner gone/go the same way? Currently boycotting, not that I see anything but LP or Hophead on my travels.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I'm hoping that Wells will redeem themselves with their new brewery. Back in the 1970s they did a strong bitter called Wells Fargo that was designed to take the wind out of the sails of Ruddles County. They discomtinurd it for the inferior Bombardier which is now a Marston beer.
    I wouldn't suggest resurrecting that one: Wells Fargo reaches $3bn fake accounts settlement!

I wouldn't suggest resurrecting that one: Wells Fargo reaches $3bn fake accounts settlement!
    They could do something original and call it Well's Special.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I remember that one - one of the first real ales that I can recall drinking in the south after I was introduced to Boddington's in Lancaster. (The other was Abbot, which was a pretty good beer back then, IIRC.) Wasn't there a special glass, too? With a handle.
    Come On You Hatters!

A bank robbing their customers? Is that 1. Unusual 2. Unexpected? The closer a business is to your cash the more likely they will rob you, the line between business and organised crime is vanishingly small. Didn’t Wells Fargo bank sue Charles Wells brewery for breach of copyright over Fargo bitter & lose?

29. Bradley's Spanish Bar, Fitzrovia
    … and these already on my 'must visit' list.
    Well, I hope it's improved since Steve was there in 2017.

"...a fairly grubby two bar place that gives all the pretence of needing a good clean ... the majority of drinkers had spilled out to block Hanway Street. I largely put this down to the fact that the toilets are also still diabolical and as well as the risk of falling in them the gents were producing such a pong to classify as a double pegger and after 15 minutes in the downstairs bar we joined the hordes in Hanway Street to get some air."
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I used to love Young's Ordinary back in the day.Haven't had the resolve to try the Bedford versions, except once when I found Special to be incredibly sweet. Has/will Fuller Smith and Turner gone/go the same way? Currently boycotting, not that I see anything but LP or Hophead on my travels.
    I always tended to drink Special and it was always a sweet beer but even at Wandsworth they seemed to keep tinkering with it, whether they actually did so is another matter! I never heard any talk of Ordinary changing at Wandsworth.
    It's been called Ordinary for as long as I can recall. I wonder if anybody actually refers to it as London Original.