Ads not shown when logged in
Page 159 of 237 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169209 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,590 of 2361

Thread: Yet another list

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Yet another London list.
    A reasonable effort from me with 39/50
    41 out of the 50 for me - and one of the others I actually walked past a month or two ago, not stopping as it didn't look worth bothering with!
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Yet another London list.
    I make it 28 for me with only about half a dozen in recent years.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I make it 28 for me with only about half a dozen in recent years.
    About the same for me. But I do wonder about the people who write this stuff. "Young’s know how to look after their beer and so it is here: besides the brewery’s usual pints, they’ve usually a couple of other breweries on" it says for the Lamb, not realising Youngs got out of brewing years ago. And last time I was in there (last week) they had whatever Ordinary and Special are badged these days plus two Sambrooks plus two others; that's long been the situation there, suggesting the authors didn't spend much time on fieldwork.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    suggesting the authors didn't spend much time on fieldwork.
    That seems to be par for the course with most of these lists. Give me the job and I'd happily do plenty of fieldwork.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Yet another London list.
    Quite a good list, as these things go, and also 39/50... with all except:
    42. Bank of Friendship, Highbury
    41. The Alexandra, Wimbledon
    33. The White Swan, Twickenham
    32. The Faltering Fullback, Finsbury Park
    31. The Holly Bush, Hampstead
    29. Bradley's Spanish Bar, Fitzrovia
    28. The Glory, Haggerston
    21. The Prince of Greenwich, Greenwich
    19. The Marksman, Hoxton
    11. Auld Shillelagh, Stoke Newington
    8. Harwood Arms, Fulham
    … and these already on my 'must visit' list.
    Last edited by rpadam; 23-02-2020 at 10:10.

I do wonder about the people who write this stuff. "Young’s know how to look after their beer and so it is here: besides the brewery’s usual pints, they’ve usually a couple of other breweries on" it says for the Lamb, not realising Youngs got out of brewing years ago. And last time I was in there (last week) they had whatever Ordinary and Special are badged these days plus two Sambrooks plus two others; that's long been the situation there, suggesting the authors didn't spend much time on fieldwork.
    I won't go in Young's pubs today. I remember passing one in Bristol near a JDW and making a point of avoiding it. The rot set in around 40 years ago. The Windmill on Clapham Common used to have a great and cheap Public bar. It remained the best option in that area for many years but was not the same. More locally, the E5 Prince(ss) Of Wales was a great old fashioned two bar pub that people used to flock to from all over East and North London. Some years ago now, I heard it had neen knocked into one, gone down the gastro route and was charging over 4 quid a pint.
    Does anyone else think that Wandle & Junction are imitations of Ordinary & Special?

Does anyone else think that Wandle & Junction are imitations of Ordinary & Special?
    Yes agree with that, wouldn't normally go near any of them nowadays.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

About the same for me. But I do wonder about the people who write this stuff. "Young’s know how to look after their beer and so it is here: besides the brewery’s usual pints, they’ve usually a couple of other breweries on" it says for the Lamb, not realising Youngs got out of brewing years ago. And last time I was in there (last week) they had whatever Ordinary and Special are badged these days plus two Sambrooks plus two others; that's long been the situation there, suggesting the authors didn't spend much time on fieldwork.
    Perhaps I'm insufficiently cynical, but in my experience it is now entirely possible to regularly visit Young's pubs and find staff (let alone customers) who suffer the misapprehension that Young & Co's Brewery Plc have something to do with the so-called "London Original" and "London Special" special they are serving (or drinking). I heard some mention of Wells & Youngs at the time of the original move to Bedford, and a bit when Charles Wells bought out Young's 40% stake, but almost nothing when Marston's bought the Eagle Brewery in 2017. Indeed, even the current www.youngsbeers.co.uk website would leave most people none the wiser (unless they read the small print, rather than swallowing the "London will always be Young's - Estd 1831" guff). I'd seriously think about reporting them to trading standards if I had more time!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Yet another London list.
    Decent enough list and I can recall being in 28 ,although I may have forgotten some from the list

Has given me a few ideas for targets in the future
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

I won't go in Young's pubs today.
    I seem to remember that the brewer at Sambrooks mentioned that Wandle was a recreation of Ordinary at the time that Youngs brewing in Wandsworth ceased.

The only upside of going in a Youngs pubco house these days is that St Austell Proper Job is a regular guest ale,and if well kept is far superior to Original,Special and the Sambrooks beers IMHO.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson