Ads not shown when logged in
Page 137 of 237 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 2361

Thread: Yet another list

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    They seem to have an undesirable penchant for Bass & Pedigree.
    There appears to be some sort of conspiracy at the moment to resurrect the reputation of previously great or good beers that have become shadows of their former selves. Mudgie, Retired Martin and others are doing it with Bass and even Tandleman got in on the act with Morland Original of all things . Start worrying when it's Watney's Red/Red Barrel.... oh I forgot Boak & Bailey tried that one earlier this year in spite of being far too young to have tasted the muck.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    There appears to be some sort of conspiracy at the moment to resurrect the reputation of previously great or good beers that have become shadows of their former selves. Mudgie, Retired Martin and others are doing it with Bass and even Tandleman got in on the act with Morland Original of all things . Start worrying when it's Watney's Red/Red Barrel.... oh I forgot Boak & Bailey tried that one earlier this year in spite of being far too young to have tasted the muck.
    They actually like the stuff, it's a tradition thing, the times I've been out pub crawling with them I am definitely the odd one out on murky hop bombs.I recently tried a pint of Bass in Bristol, although I could appreciate the quality of the conditioning, it could just as easily been a pint of London Pride or any number of beers of that type. Personally don't get it.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    They actually like the stuff, it's a tradition thing.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's nostalgic and people have a soft spot for nostalgia. People see it in a pub and think "ooh you don't see that very often these days" and get lured into buying it. For the less adventurous drinker it's comforting and reminds them of times gone by, simpler times, the good old days...

Perhaps next time I see Bass on cask I'll have to try it and see what the fuss is about! But if there's a more interesting beer on offer it won't be the Bass that gets my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    They actually like the stuff, ...I recently tried a pint of Bass in Bristol, although I could appreciate the quality of the conditioning, it could just as easily been a pint of London Pride or any number of beers of that type. Personally don't get it.
    It's not a new phenomenon, I remember years ago when Camra seemed to be the Campaign for Real Bitter, and there's still people who think beer is only beer if it's brown, malty and made with Fuggles or Goldings. It's not a matter of their taste preference it's an article of faith with them and don't get them started about any method of dispense other than handpull or gravity. And yes even years ago I had trouble telling Gales HSB, Wadworth 6X and Eldridge Pope Royal Oak from one another in a blind tasting. Bass and Pedigree were different as they at least had the Burton Snatch then.
    Last edited by oldboots; 17-09-2019 at 17:59.

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's nostalgic and people have a soft spot for nostalgia. People see it in a pub and think "ooh you don't see that very often these days" and get lured into buying it.
    Are these people so gullible that they can't work out that neither of these beers remotely resemble the beers they were back in the day?
    I've got the right hump with Marstons almost to the point of adding their houses to my avoid list. The only beers from them with any merit are Old Empire & if pushed Banks's Mild plus possibly Hobgoblin Gold. You're more likely to find Old Empire in a JDW rather than a Marston tied house.
    They steadfastly seem to disallow other brewery beers and with the brewing of Thwaite's beers and the buying up of the Wells Bedford brewery the proportion of worthwhile beers is miniscule. They've jettisoned most of their Mid Wales estate based around Aberystwyth and further North ruined all the former Burtonwood houses I've been to. In the Black Country some of the once reliablr Banks's houses have been rebadged as Marstons and one I went to had nothing better than Boddington's smooth crap on.

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    Perhaps next time I see Bass on cask I'll have to try it and see what the fuss is about! But if there's a more interesting beer on offer it won't be the Bass that gets my attention.
    I did that in Uttoxeter nearly three years ago when I foolishly ventured into a pub that just sold Bass. It was very undistinguished whereas prior to the early 1980s it was a great beer, undoubtedly one of the best you could find. The same applies to Boddingtons who also used to brew a mild and a strong winter ale.

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I did that in Uttoxeter nearly three years ago when I foolishly ventured into a pub that just sold Bass. It was very undistinguished whereas prior to the early 1980s it was a great beer, undoubtedly one of the best you could find. The same applies to Boddingtons who also used to brew a mild and a strong winter ale.
    It's funny you should mention Boddingtons, a chap I used to work for was a big fan of Boddingtons Bitter and Boddingtons Gold, which eventually lured me away from the lagers I was drinking at the time. My memory is a bit hazy but I am sure these were both available on cask, and of course would have been brewed in the Boddingtons brewery in Manchester at the time. I remember really enjoying these two beers (Gold was not as readily available as Bitter though).

I was in a pub with no real ale around 18 months ago so went for the Boddingtons on keg. It was a massive disappointment and didn't taste of anything at all. So it set me off thinking, if I had the opportunity to have a "proper" Boddingtons now (on cask, brewed in Manchester) would that too be a disappointment? Is it the beer that has changed, or have my tastes changed since then? I suspect it's a little of both (but mainly the beer).

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    It's not a new phenomenon, I remember years ago when Camra seemed to be the Campaign for Real Bitter, and there's still people who think beer is only beer if it's brown, malty and made with Fuggles or Goldings.
    I used to do a bit of home brewing myself in those days and I think there was only one other hop available called North or Northern something. There were lager hops but I ignored them.

This Space For Hire

Another beauty pageant.

Just the four for me:

The Golden Heart
    The Rose & Crown
    The Royal Oak
    The Stags Head

All certainly worth visiting for the great interiors if nothing else. Two are must-visits if you like Vitrolite ceilings!
    Last edited by Tris39; 17-09-2019 at 19:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Another beauty pageant.

Just the four for me:

The Golden Heart
    The Rose & Crown
    The Royal Oak
    The Stags Head

All certainly worth visiting for the great interiors if nothing else.
    None for me, though I can't explain why I never went to the The Gatehouse. On further consideration I can,as it looks rather similar to my memory of https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/28374/ , another pub which I failed to visit,though passing often in the mid seventies.
    Last edited by Wittenden; 17-09-2019 at 22:11.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Another beauty pageant.

Just the four for me:

The Golden Heart
    The Rose & Crown
    The Royal Oak
    The Stags Head

All certainly worth visiting for the great interiors if nothing else. Two are must-visits if you like Vitrolite ceilings!
    Just the last three for me, Rose & Crown, Royal Oak and Golden Heart.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields