Ads not shown when logged in
Page 135 of 237 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145185235 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 2361

Thread: Yet another list

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    The Pub Curmudeon's list is ineresting, if a little gappy-not much in Kent or East Sussex for instance. Here's a few pubs in K and ES visited by me in the last twelvemonth:
    Bell & Jorrocks
    The Salehurst Halt
    The Kentish Rifleman
    Rock
    The Shipwrights Arms
    The Bull Inn Not forgetting
    Halfway House

These are all pubs in the countryside or small villages,serving food and beer.I've excluded wet led pubs on the grounds that I only really go to my local ones.

No Snargate Red Lion or Berwick Cricketers?
    On the PC list, I wouldn't call the Station at Southminster a country pub. Southminster is a town.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Only because I haven't been to either recently. No excuse with thw Red Lion, I'm afraid.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Mudgie made the point that Snargate is a little too far from London to count, Berwick would be the same.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Mudgie made the point that Snargate is a little too far from London to count, Berwick would be the same.
    Here we go again with Geograph Galore! Nothing in Sussex, Oxfordshire, North Bucks, Cambridgeshire, Hampshire, most of Berkshire, East Kent and East Essex is "close" to London. However, the Counties mentioned are all regarded as Home Counties which surely by definition must make them "close" to London. The Berwick Cricketers is probably more accessible than the superb ex K&B Blue Ship. For the purposes of the original list I would have excluded counties not adjacent to London and East Essex & Kent.

However, the Counties mentioned are all regarded as Home Counties which surely by definition must make them "close" to London.
    I believe the "Home Counties" are those that border London therefore Hampshire, Sussex, Oxfordshire and Cambridgeshire would not be regarded as "Home", perhaps they are "The Shires" (other than Sussex by the Sea). Conversely Middlesex is a Home County as are Hertfordshire and Surrey.

More balls here if you're in the mood.
    Last edited by oldboots; 13-09-2019 at 12:39.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I believe the "Home Counties" are those that border London therefore Hampshire, Sussex, Oxfordshire and Cambridgeshire would not be regarded as "Home", perhaps they are "The Shires".
    That was what I assumed but the Wikipedia page begs to differ. Is the fact that Berkshire only has a tiny border with Greater London relevant? The most important quote from the Wikipedia page is that
    no exact definition exists
    so it's a really pointless argument as is the one about where the Midlands are!

yes but,

Wikipedia is user written ie pompous, self selecting, know-alls who may or may not have any expertise. That could apply to many things of course

Is the fact that Berkshire only has a tiny border with Greater London relevant?
    You could argue that as Middlesex is in between London and Berkshire then Berkshire is not a Home County, the same goes for Hertfordshire.

You could argue that as Middlesex is in between London and Berkshire then Berkshire is not a Home County, the same goes for Hertfordshire.

Would the same apply to Bucks? I can't remember exactly where Middlesex was apart from there being two bits of it.

I believe the "Home Counties" are those that border London therefore Hampshire, Sussex, Oxfordshire and Cambridgeshire would not be regarded as "Home", perhaps they are "The Shires" (other than Sussex by the Sea). Conversely Middlesex is a Home County as are Hertfordshire and Surrey.
    That was what I assumed but the Wikipedia page begs to differ. Is the fact that Berkshire only has a tiny border with Greater London relevant? The most important quote from the Wikipedia page is that "no exact definition exists" so it's a really pointless argument as is the one about where the Midlands are!
    yes but,

Wikipedia is user written ie pompous, self selecting, know-alls who may or may not have any expertise. That could apply to many things of course
    This is so much fun I almost wish I'd stayed at home today instead of spending a lot of money on going to London to watch Luton Town lose to QPR. The only bright side to the day's proceedings was an excellent pint of London Pride at The Dove in Hammersmith before the game.
    Come On You Hatters!