Ads not shown when logged in
Page 121 of 238 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171221 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 2371

Thread: Yet another list

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Me, I discovered Ruddles County there before Tony Ruddle sold his inheritance.
    I recall them selling beers from two new South Coast breweries Martlet of Eastbourne and Raven of Brighton (I had to look this up!).

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Yes, I first discovered the Princess Louise in 1987 when it was a free house serving six (or was it eight?) ales, though I think Space Invaders had been repelled by then. It was a simpler place, more opened out, simple furniture and comfy chairs and spacious - less claustrophobic. In many ways I preferred it then, especially in the beer department, but it's now so popular and rammed that an evening visit is less enjoyable these days, though the gents still holds its own, just like the users.
    I'm pretty sure it was late 1978 when Space Invaders caught my eye and cash. By 1987 I was working at the other end of Holborn and didn't get to those pubs.
    By 1987 video games had moved on and if a pub still had one it was all combat or shoot-em-ups where you had to gather enhancements. The last time I came across a Space Invaders machine was in this pub in North Wales which you may be aware of. It was in the late 1990s and was a table top one that the then landlord had been made a considerable offer to buy from some Japanese tourists.

This Space For Hire

WC2 page from "Real Ale in London" - 1981 edition.

Scan.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    WC2 page from "Real Ale in London" - 1981 edition.

Scan.pdf
    Interesting. Never heard of Chudley, Godson and Tisbury.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Snap.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Never tried Chudley-I think they were in North London,nor Tisbury , from err,Tisbury.Godson's I think evolved from a chain of East End pubs;anyway I remember going by tube (big adventure) to a pub opposite the London(?) Hospital in Whitechapel,where I tried Godson's.Probably novelty value, as they must have been one of the earliest new breweries.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Never tried Chudley-I think they were in North London,nor Tisbury , from err,Tisbury.Godson's I think evolved from a chain of East End pubs;anyway I remember going by tube (big adventure) to a pub opposite the London(?) Hospital in Whitechapel,where I tried Godson's.Probably novelty value, as they must have been one of the earliest new breweries.
    This , from the inestimable Boak and Bailey, throws light on the murky story:https://boakandbailey.com/2014/08/or...ipster-brewer/
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Never tried Chudley-I think they were in North London,

I tried Godson's.Probably novelty value, as they must have been one of the earliest new breweries.

Chudley was in Maida Vale (Made of Ale...) hence Lord's Bitter. Another was called Local Line with a picture of a train. We had it in our social club for a while, in polypins. Very much a one man band, Tim (iirc) Chudley did the deliveries himself.

According to the breweries section of the aforementioned guide, Godson's were the first new brewery in London in the 20th century.

How times have changed.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 18-05-2019 at 08:34.

I knew all three but Chudley probably the least so. Godson was linked to the Murphy chain of pubs in East London. The White Hart in Whitechapel was their flagship pub and more recently became the centre of gravity for One Mile End brewery (check the pub address). The Lord Rodney's Head was one of thir better known outlets, was used for CAMRA meetings and is the place Wittendon visited to sample the beers. Tisbury is a stop on the line from Salisbury to Exeter and this pub was very much associated with the brewery. Visiting this place explains how I have been to the Beckford Arms which has appeared on more than one of those weekend supplement brigade lists.
    As for Chudley it all gets a bit vague. The Sekforde Arms in EC1 was originally a rather nice Charringto's pub that became a Free House before Young's took it over. I have a recollection of going there in the 1980s and having a beer called Draught Excluder that was around 6% abv. I THINK it was brewed by Chudleys but can't be certain. I would have tried Chudley beers at other locations but don't have details.

I've had 4 different ELB beers in the Wanstead George this week and they all run rings around the three breweries mentioned!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I have a recollection of going there in the 1980s and having a beer called Draught Excluder that was around 6% abv. I THINK it was brewed by Chudleys but can't be certain.
    My 1988 GBG has Godson's Draught Excluder and Chudley's Local Line brewed by Gibbs Mew, as blogged later by B&B. It notes that they took the beers on when Godson Chudley closed in 1987. Draught Excluder is listed as 1066 OG, pokey stuff indeed.

I doubt the beers/brands still exist as trademarks but if they do they'd belong to Marstons via Ushers and Wychwood.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 18-05-2019 at 22:00.