Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 237 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another list

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I haven't been to the two I can see on the Times page (no money for Rupert from me either) or the three in the Bristol Post. Who thought "Pony & Trap" was a good name for a pub? Of course, I've been to a few that were a load of pony.
    And we have all been in one that was load trap
    I drink to make others more interesting

Blurring the definition of Craft Beer further, Sambrooks Wandle makes it onto this list
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Blurring the definition of Craft Beer further, Sambrooks Wandle makes it onto this list
    Haven't tried any of 'em!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    The trouble with this list is that it is all bottles. I haven't had bottled beer in a pub since Young's pubs were worth a visit and we came up with the idea of Winter Warmer with a bottle of Old Nick in as "the thinking man's brown and mild".
    I've had six of them on cask and all I can say about Wandle is that it's better than Junction but shoudn't be on this list. Sambrooks do now do a good proper mild called Archer so there's hope for them yet. I suspect Wandle was just an imitation of Young's Ordinary, but as it came out before the London micro explosion it probably got a better reception than it would do today.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    all I can say about Wandle is that it's better than Junction .
    Really? I think the opposite. I didn't find Wandle with any flavour whatsoever in 3 attempts, right down there with gkipa, so sacked it. Junction, whilst only something I'd go for in adversity, at least displayed some vague malty character. I remain amazed that Sambrooks managed to inveigle themselves into so many outlets, and can only think they profited by pubs wanting to jump on the 'Locale' bandwaggon.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Really? I think the opposite. I didn't find Wandle with any flavour whatsoever in 3 attempts, right down there with gkipa, so sacked it. Junction, whilst only something I'd go for in adversity, at least displayed some vague malty character. I remain amazed that Sambrooks managed to inveigle themselves into so many outlets, and can only think they profited by pubs wanting to jump on the 'Locale' bandwaggon.
    Being first out of the traps just ahead of the curve works wonders - despite their beer being, IMHO, fairly pedestrian they've established themselves as a 'brand'. So yer average licensee thinks "I want a London beer that isn't Fullers". The immediate answer is then Sambrooks cos they've seen it elsewhere regularly. Plus, there's still a large market for bog-standard brown beer.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    It may be that Wandle is the sort of beer that goes down best as the first one of the day.
    To me the Junction is far too sweet as to a lesser degree is their porter. Their mild is a genuine one and well worth a go.
    Many of the newer London breweries make vastly superior beers to Sambrooks, and there's a whole load I haven't even tried yet!

This Space For Hire

I have had 17 of these beers and have had 2 saisons from Partizan but not that version.All have been on cask or keg and the 2 missing are the Victorian stout and the Triple.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It may be that Wandle is the sort of beer that goes down best as the first one of the day.
    To me the Junction is far too sweet as to a lesser degree is their porter. Their mild is a genuine one and well worth a go.
    Many of the newer London breweries make vastly superior beers to Sambrooks, and there's a whole load I haven't even tried yet!
    You may be right about the first pint of the day.I had a Wandle last week and while a bit thin was a good thirst quencher but would be tasteless if drank after something more flavoursome.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Being first out of the traps just ahead of the curve works wonders - despite their beer being, IMHO, fairly pedestrian they've established themselves as a 'brand'. So yer average licensee thinks "I want a London beer that isn't Fullers". The immediate answer is then Sambrooks cos they've seen it elsewhere regularly. Plus, there's still a large market for bog-standard brown beer.
    They do get in lots of pubs and seem to be the alternative to Doombar.