Ads not shown when logged in
Page 120 of 238 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170220 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 2371

Thread: Yet another list

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Looks like I need to get myself to Mother Kelly's SE1 and the Harwood Arms...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    All done and dusted except Royal Oak, Mother Kellys , French House and Harwood Arms.
    Went to the French House the other day for the first time in over 29 years and it was rammed on a Monday evening. There's no real ale and the witlessness of serving only halves is pretentious.

I looked at the Harwood Arms website and it appears not that welcoming for drinkers-only, being a major food pub and WhatPub seems to agree - the website's homepage displays what looks like a burnt pear in a Yorkshire pudding. I might give it a go as it's not too far from me and hasn't received a proper review, but if there are no seats I probably wouldn't stay.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    All done and dusted except Royal Oak, Mother Kellys , French House and Harwood Arms.
    I am surprised to see Mother Kellys on the list.I often use it and if you check their website they have an up to date beer menu with prices.Handy for new breweries for me.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I am surprised to see Mother Kellys on the list.I often use it and if you check their website they have an up to date beer menu with prices.Handy for new breweries for me.
    To be honest this one had slipped the net and I didn't know it existed, Iv'e used the Bethnal Green one a few times. I shall be having a look in the next month or so.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Here we go again!

https://www.cntraveller.com/gallery/best-pubs-in-london

Just 18 for me:

Royal Oak
    Black Friar
    Newman Arms
    Guinea Grill
    Lamb
    Jamaica Wine House
    Ye Olde Mitre
    Princess Louise
    French House
    Windsor Castle
    George
    King's Arms
    Pride of Spitalfields
    Prospect of Whitby
    Queen's Head
    Hawley Arms
    Southampton Arms
    Earl of Essex
    16 for me from a decent list,it has given me a couple of targets,one of which will be Mother Kelly's having enjoyed the Bethnal Green branch.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Here we go again!

https://www.cntraveller.com/gallery/best-pubs-in-london

Just 18 for me:

Royal Oak
    Black Friar
    Newman Arms
    Guinea Grill
    Lamb
    Jamaica Wine House
    Ye Olde Mitre
    Princess Louise
    French House
    Windsor Castle
    George
    King's Arms
    Pride of Spitalfields
    Prospect of Whitby
    Queen's Head
    Hawley Arms
    Southampton Arms
    Earl of Essex

There's 7 I've either rot been to with possibly three I may have been to but as it's London just can't be bothered to try and work it out. Does anyone else remember the Princess Louise when it was a must visit Free House> I discovered Space Invaders in this pub and was immediately hooked. I'm still completely rubbish at it!

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Looks like I need to get myself to Mother Kelly's SE1 and the Harwood Arms...
    Ditto. 22/24 with the same interlopers as you preventing a clean sweep.
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

[QUOTE=Aqualung;100403] Does anyone else remember the Princess Louise when it was a must visit Free House/QUOTE]

That was a regular Saturday night excursion ,get the 68 from outside Selhurst Park,get off at Holborn then Princess Louise,Sun and Lamb .

The Princess Louise was a lot more basic in those days before being "restored" by Sam Smiths but the magnificent gents were always there.It wasn't featured much (if at all) in the GBG,and there was the occasional dodgy pint,well before the unfined London Murkey of these times
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    .. Does anyone else remember the Princess Louise when it was a must visit Free House>...
    Me, I discovered Ruddles County there before Tony Ruddle sold his inheritance.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    There's 7 I've either rot been to with possibly three I may have been to but as it's London just can't be bothered to try and work it out. Does anyone else remember the Princess Louise when it was a must visit Free House> I discovered Space Invaders in this pub and was immediately hooked. I'm still completely rubbish at it!
    Yes, I first discovered the Princess Louise in 1987 when it was a free house serving six (or was it eight?) ales, though I think Space Invaders had been repelled by then. It was a simpler place, more opened out, simple furniture and comfy chairs and spacious - less claustrophobic. In many ways I preferred it then, especially in the beer department, but it's now so popular and rammed that an evening visit is less enjoyable these days, though the gents still holds its own, just like the users.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    That was a regular Saturday night excursion ,get the 68 from outside Selhurst Park,get off at Holborn then Princess Louise,Sun and Lamb .

I knew the Sun when the owner started it up as I worked nearby at the time. It started with two Young's, two Brakspear and twu Greene King which sounds dull today but in the mid 70s was spectacular. Quality was good and they also did a good value generous shepherd's pie. The rot set in when they started adding more beers and the more they added the worse the quality became. I think we first discovered the Lamb back in 1973 or 1974. It didn't take long to find the leaflet listing all their pubs and doing a tour of them.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 12-05-2019 at 20:34.