Ads not shown when logged in
Page 133 of 237 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183233 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 2361

Thread: Yet another list

Best Country Pubs Close To London.
    Only been to the The Little Angelon this short list,and that was over 30 years ago. Given the type of pubs featured I am unlikely to visit any of the others.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Well, they haven't even got the Dorset Arms in the right county, let alone having noticed that the last time you could catch a direct train from London to Groombridge was in 1969 (and although you can now use the Spa Valley Railway heritage line, when operating, since the Eridge connection reopened in 2011, the "59 minutes from London Bridge" claim would have been complete fantasy in any period)!

Only been to the The Little Angelon this short list,and that was over 30 years ago. Given the type of pubs featured I am unlikely to visit any of the others.
    Two for me, the Henley Little Angel back when Brakspear pubs were worth seeking out and the Doeset mentioned above when it was a Harvey's tied house and certainly was in East Sussex. I wouldn't call either of them CLOSE to London. The Little Angel is more or less in the town of Henley so how can it be a "country" pub. The Brakspear ale has not been local for many years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Two for me, the Henley Little Angel back when Brakspear pubs were worth seeking out and the Doeset mentioned above when it was a Harvey's tied house and certainly was in East Sussex. I wouldn't call either of them CLOSE to London.
    Yes, Withyham certainly still is in East Sussex, so the "The Dorset Arms, Ashdown Forest, Kent" heading shows how well researched this piece is... even before you get to the supposed train service.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Yes, Withyham certainly still is in East Sussex, so the "The Dorset Arms, Ashdown Forest, Kent" heading shows how well researched this piece is... even before you get to the supposed train service.
    Talking of Trains, I have been on that line to Eridge which had a King & Barnes pub called the Huntsman nearby. I think you had to change at Tunbridge Wells. I didn't know about the Heritage line now there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Talking of Trains, I have been on that line to Eridge which had a King & Barnes pub called the Huntsman nearby. I think you had to change at Tunbridge Wells. I didn't know about the Heritage line now there.
    The connection between Tunbridge Wells (Central) and Tunbridge Wells West closed in 1985, but the Spa Valley Railway is worth a visit and has a good annual beer festival: https://www.spavalleyrailway.co.uk/p...mn-diesel-gala.
    Last edited by rpadam; 08-09-2019 at 14:20.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Yes, I noticed that, but didn't rise to the bait.It's a pity, as the Dorset Arms has been on my wish list for some time. Perhaps not, now.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

These all seem to be geared towards eating. Just the The Perch Inn for me, but has drinking at the small bar only unless you fancy getting soaked in the garden. The food is poor and it's hardly 'close' to London.

The Harrow Inn is a glaring omission but like so many of the others, is a good one hour's journey from London.

The Little Angel?? The author must know the owner. It isn't even in the country, being as it is the other side of the Henley bridge next to, err, Henley.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    The Little Angel?? The author must know the owner. It isn't even in the county, being as it is the other side of the Henley bridge next to, err, Henley.
    I'd overlooked that! Yes, it's in Remenham on the Berkshire side of the bridge. I don't have any recollection of it being any good let alone being in the country. My favourites in Henley when Brakspear's were King were the Three Tuns and the (10:00 opener) and the Row Barge (amusing landlord). Their biggest appeal was their quiet remote rural outlets many of which have closed. I wouldn't even bother returning to Henley again.