Ads not shown when logged in
Page 85 of 237 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another list

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    England’s 200 best pubs:

https://www.bestofengland.com/200-pubs
    Eleven for me. Two last week, the beer was decent in one and diabolical in the other so I'm not tempted to try and tick the list off.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    Of these 200 "best pubs" I have done a massive three!

The Dalesman Inn
    The Lion
    The Watermill Inn

I wasn't that taken by the Dalesman in Sedbergh but the Lion at Settle and Watermill at Ings are pretty nice; the Watermill brews its own beers which always helps raise a pub in my estimations!
    At the Watermill Inn in the 1990's, I spotted "Uncle Igor beer" at 23% the Worlds strongest undistilled beer (at the time).
    A beer ticker from work had been searching for it for months. I bought a third and had a sip, then realised that I had to drive back to my hotel, so I poured it into a bottle and shared it out with the nightshift at work the following week! The ticker said I should have brought them a bottle each!

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    At the Watermill Inn in the 1990's, I spotted "Uncle Igor beer" at 23% the Worlds strongest undistilled beer (at the time).
    A beer ticker from work had been searching for it for months. I bought a third and had a sip, then realised that I had to drive back to my hotel, so I poured it into a bottle and shared it out with the nightshift at work the following week! The ticker said I should have brought them a bottle each!
    23%? I bet that warmed your insides! I do like the occasional Imperial Stout but I don't think I have ever had anything close to that strength. I recall in my younger drinking days we would occasionally frequent Rain Bar in Manchester which would often have Moonraker on (JW Lees), and at the time was 7% (now reduced to 6.5%). It was hit and miss as to whether they would serve you a full pint or force you to just buy a half. Either way it was probably never a great idea at the end of the night, and on one occasion one of my friends ended up in the canal after having this as his final pint of the evening.

England’s 200 best pubs:

4 out of 200 for me.
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The other is the Cat at West Hoathly which I knew as a Beard's pub. Another one noted was the Three Chimneys at Biddenden but I'd rather not go into that given that I was the most sober one on that totally shambolic day.
    You wouldn't recognise either now.Both been extended,though the Cat is still a good pub, especially in the front.A regular outlet for Larkin's. Ahh, the Chimneys... I've got a lot of time for it, if I ignore the dining room and staff/owner's accommodation out back where the nut trees were. Luckily it has a good longstanding manager, who seems somehow to keep City Boy, the owner , under control. go there fairly often, usually on winter evenings if passing, when the public bar is likely to be empty.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Blimey, 13 for me, most were very fleeting visits, such as some the Isle of Wight ones
    I drink to make others more interesting

England’s 200 best pubs:

9, and none of them in my top batch. Which shows how subjective it is.

There is a definite geographic bias here - notwithstanding Farway's visits, I refuse to believe that so many of our top pubs are on the Isle of Wight.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Flicking through I counted 15 visited, I may have missed a couple, but some of the entrants are no way top two hundred.
    Just been through the list again, 17/200.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    9, and none of them in my top batch. Which shows how subjective it is.

There is a definite geographic bias here - notwithstanding Farway's visits, I refuse to believe that so many of our top pubs are on the Isle of Wight.
    I really hated having to go there to visit the two JDWs. My mate has never been there and is committed to never ever going there along with Bournemouth. I call it the Isle of Shite.

This Space For Hire

Of course it's subjective. Very often a best pub means an old building with a nice garden, usually next to water or in some chocolate box location. It can sell sour Doombar and microwaved ready meals and they'll love it. All fur coat and no knickers.

As a thought experiment, change the same building to a flat roofer, keep all the rest the same, and you'll be sure it won't get a second look from the best pub brigade. Stick good beer in it, and edible food. Make it lovely and welcoming inside. They'll still walk past.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 12-07-2018 at 22:50.