Ads not shown when logged in
Page 164 of 237 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174214 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 2361

Thread: Yet another list

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    After being diagnosed with a low red blood count I've been on the FourPure Big Milk Stout (for medicinal purposes obviously) and reckon that every can must be the equivalent of half a box of iron tablets or gnawing on some rusty old railings. I'm old enough to remember the old women in early Coronation Street drinking Milk Stout so it must be good.
    Not quite an old wives tale but perhaps rather exaggerated. Mackeson ("and by golly it does you good") used to be recommended for nursing mothers and even given out in maternity homes, but I suspect only had much effect on the malnourished. There is indeed iron in beer; a pretty small amount compared to daily needs but there really is more in dark beers than light (Scientific proof here). You would need to drink quite a lot to make a substantial difference though. Well that's one excuse...
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    If it's iron that is low, here's what you should be eating:

shellfish, such as oysters, clams, and mussels
    fortified cereals
    oysters
    spinach
    chocolate with 45–69% cacao solids
    chickpeas
    tuna
    sardines
    baked potato with the skin attached
    beef liver
    beef
    tofu
    chicken liver
    white beans
    lentils

Good luck with finding a beer with those in!
    Mercer's Meat Stout! Someone from uup norf has recreated it, I read somewhere.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

I'm never sure when you're joking. There's a reason why this sort of thing is called an Old Wives Tale. Here's a list of dietary improvements you can make if your red blood cell count is low: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319457. Milk is only helpful if it's vitamin B12 deficiency that you are experiencing. And there is no milk in Milk Stout, only lactose (and hence no B12, unfortunately).

If it's iron that is low, here's what you should be eating:

shellfish, such as oysters, clams, and mussels
    fortified cereals
    oysters
    spinach
    chocolate with 45–69% cacao solids
    chickpeas
    tuna
    sardines
    baked potato with the skin attached
    beef liver
    beef
    tofu
    chicken liver
    white beans
    lentils

Good luck with finding a beer with those in!
    Top of your list and no problem!

There's pudding too!

I remember just after my sister was born, my mother was diagnosed with having a low iron count - the doctor told her to drink Guinness. My guess though, is that my father probably snaffled it as he drank the stuff. Mind you, he drank anything he could get his hands on...

Real Ale Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Not quite an old wives tale but perhaps rather exaggerated. Mackeson ("and by golly it does you good") used to be recommended for nursing mothers and even given out in maternity homes, but I suspect only had much effect on the malnourished. There is indeed iron in beer; a pretty small amount compared to daily needs but there really is more in dark beers than light (Scientific proof here). You would need to drink quite a lot to make a substantial difference though. Well that's one excuse...
    Having Haemochromatosis (check it out) I was told years ago that the, supposedly, high iron count in beer (especially Guinness) was, erm, bollocks.

I'm never sure when you're joking. There's a reason why this sort of thing is called an Old Wives Tale.
    Thanks for that. Now I know it's an old wives tale I can justify getting the 9% Brewdog collab instead when my Tesco gets more in!!!
    I mostly cook my own food including curries etc so already consume enough of those foods. I'd rather gnaw on a rusty iron railing than eat Tofu!!
    It's probably safe to assume that I'm joking to some degree in 90% of cases. I'm a big fan of Rhod Gilbert the comedian who built a career out of ranting about the least important things imaginable.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    Having Haemochromatosis (check it out) I was told years ago that the, supposedly, high iron count in beer (especially Guinness) was, erm, bollocks.
    As I said, it's not high, but it is there.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    There were indeed four, the WhatPub entry for the Fox lists them. I'm sure I used to know why/how Gales acquired them but depletion of brain cells has taken its toll. I think I've got a seventies Oxfordshire Camra guide somewhere, that might shed some light on the matter.
    I remember Cane End but not the pub name. I think I only went to the Black Lion once. The itinerary was usually the three A4074 Gales pubs then exit stage right into Brakspear territory after lunchtime closing.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Bungalow!!
    Done 9.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

5, not bad for a Northerner who doesn't like Sam's beer.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas