Ads not shown when logged in
Page 141 of 237 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151191 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 2361

Thread: Yet another list

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Interesting that Guinness counted as British.
    Also brewed at Park Royal until 2005 or thereabouts, so depends how he phrased it.

I still have a few bottles on that list secreted away, awaiting a suitable moment...
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    In 1982 Michael Jackson(the beerhunter) published a list of the 50 best beers in the world.Here are the British ones
    breakspeare -pale ale
    courage -imperial Russian stout
    fullers -esb
    gales -prize old ale
    Whitbread-gold label
    mackeson
    marstons -pedigree
    marstons old roger
    Highgate -mild
    Thomas hardy ale
    Belhaven -80/_
    traquair house
    Guinness extra stout
    Guinness -foreign extra stout
    in 1982 I had drank only 4 of them
    now all but Whitbread gold label and courage imperial stout
    Beer landscape has changed somewhat since 1982
    I've had all of them over the years. Gold Label used to be really strong, 10% I believe. The last time I looked at in Tesco it was much weaker in fact Ratebeer has it as 7.5% so it's not even a barley wine.
    I've had Gales Prize Old Ale on cask. There was a beer festival in Bristol called the Great Western which had a stall run by CAMRA members with two 18 gallon casks. One was Prize Old Ale and the other was an even stronger dark beer from Smiles brewery. I seem to recall the whole thing became disorderly.

This Space For Hire

I have had Courage Imperial stout at the Berlin beer fest but it was brewed in Latvia so cant tick it.Rocket fuel as far as I can remember.

I have had Courage Imperial stout at the Berlin beer fest but it was brewed in Latvia so cant tick it.Rocket fuel as far as I can remember.
    At college in the early seventies we discovered that the nearby Marlborough Arms sold it so occasionally we would go there after the SU bar closed (14:00) to have some before closing (15:00 I think). It was rocket fuel and always had shambolic or disastrous results.
    In later years the "thinking man's black and tan" was invented which was a pint of Directors with a nip guzzled out of it and topped up with IS.
    Shambolic days!

This Space For Hire

It's interesting that he included Whitbread Gold Label rather than Bass No. 1, which I much preferred, although I suppose it all comes down to taste.

I also vaguely remember a bout of laryngitis for which I found the only cure was Courage Imperial Russian. Trouble was after a few you couldn't speak anyway...
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    It's interesting that he included Whitbread Gold Label rather than Bass No. 1, which I much preferred, although I suppose it all comes down to taste.
    I'd agree with that and I'd say Watney's Stingo was better. I also preferred Lees Moonraker to Owd Roger (and Old Tom).

In 1982 Michael Jackson(the beerhunter) published a list of the 50 best beers in the world.Here are the British ones
    breakspeare -pale ale
    courage -imperial Russian stout
    fullers -esb
    gales -prize old ale
    Whitbread-gold label
    mackeson
    marstons -pedigree
    marstons old roger
    Highgate -mild
    Thomas hardy ale
    Belhaven -80/_
    traquair house
    Guinness extra stout
    Guinness -foreign extra stout
    in 1982 I had drank only 4 of them
    now all but Whitbread gold label and courage imperial stout
    Beer landscape has changed somewhat since 1982

I've drunk them all, ESB and FES are possibly the only ones still available in a similar form to 1982.

I may be wrong but I don't think Courage (Barclay Perkins) Imperial Russian Stout has been brewed for about 14 years so no chance of tasting a newish bottle now. I used to be addicted to the stuff and a friend at Bristol University used to buy it by the crate, the picture shows my second last bottle (still full) of IRS, my last remaining Hardy Ale, my last Prize Old Ale "corker" plus a nip bottle of Guinness possibly bottled for an hospital (and it's a bottle conditioned version).

Harveys make an Imperial Russian Stout I believe to Albert Le Coq's receipe and it tastes to me very like the Barclay Perkins version.

P1020608.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    ...my second last bottle (still full) of IRS, my last remaining Hardy Ale, my last Prize Old Ale "corker" plus a nip bottle of Guinness possibly bottled for an hospital (and it's a bottle conditioned version)...

P1020608.JPG
    Nice photo!
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

I've drunk them all, ESB and FES are possibly the only ones still available in a similar form to 1982.

I may be wrong but I don't think Courage (Barclay Perkins) Imperial Russian Stout has been brewed for about 14 years so no chance of tasting a newish bottle now. I used to be addicted to the stuff and a friend at Bristol University used to buy it by the crate, the picture shows my second last bottle (still full) of IRS, my last remaining Hardy Ale, my last Prize Old Ale "corker" plus a nip bottle of Guinness possibly bottled for an hospital (and it's a bottle conditioned version).

Harveys make an Imperial Russian Stout I believe to Albert Le Coq's receipe and it tastes to me very like the Barclay Perkins version.

P1020608.JPG
    I have had the Le Coq,s version at the Parsons Green Old ale fest presumably by Harveys on draught if I remember correctly.Rather expensive too.

This Space For Hire

P1020608.JPG
    Oooohhh...Worthington's White Shield. Can you still buy this? I last got some in the Ludlow branch of Spar a few years back, but haven't seen it on sale for a while.