Ads not shown when logged in
Page 138 of 237 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 2361

Thread: Yet another list

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    They actually like the stuff, it's a tradition thing,
    I used to enjoy Bass in Half Moon Inn in the seventies.It was good then,but probably better because there wasn't much else in Durham at the time,apart from Sam Smiths in Colpitts Hotel, and Lorimer and Clarks/Vaux best Scotch, which hardly set my southern tastebuds singing.Theakston's was a rarity, and a glass of Eldridge Pope's Royal Oak at some illegal beer exhibition a cause of great excitement.No,I don't think I'd go back, though I will be,not through choice, in a Marston's pub next month, where a glass of Pedigree might well be consumed.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    It's nostalgic and people have a soft spot for nostalgia...Perhaps next time I see Bass on cask I'll have to try it and see what the fuss is about!
    I tried Bass at The Pembroke on our crawl - nothing special at all and only chosen as it was the best of a bad bunch. For me it just recalled the nostalgia for me surrounding Bass Shandy as a boy. More troublingly Watney's is back!

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    ...they at least had the Burton Snatch then.
    I shudder to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    More troublingly Watney's is back
    Brewed by Sambrooks, some of it is actually ok.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    So it set me off thinking, if I had the opportunity to have a "proper" Boddingtons now (on cask, brewed in Manchester) would that too be a disappointment? Is it the beer that has changed, or have my tastes changed since then? I suspect it's a little of both (but mainly the beer).
    I think you would like it. It had an ABV of 4.0% despite only having an OG of 1035 so they probably used brewing sugar (invert sugar) to achieve the strength without making it malty like Southern beers. It was pale rather than brown or orange and aggressively hopped. It changed for the worse in the early 1980s as they did a deal with Whitbread. I seem to recall that all of their tied houses sold real ale with the majority being in Lancashire and Greater Manchester.
    I've never seen Boddingtons Gold.

Another beauty pageant.

Just the four for me:

The Golden Heart
    The Rose & Crown
    The Royal Oak
    The Stags Head

All certainly worth visiting for the great interiors if nothing else. Two are must-visits if you like Vitrolite ceilings!

Just 3 for me, the Burslem Duke William, the Brum Black Horse (as a JDW) and the N16 Rose & Crown as it had a dart team but probably had crap beer. .

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I think you would like it. It had an ABV of 4.0% despite only having an OG of 1035 so they probably used brewing sugar (invert sugar) to achieve the strength without making it malty like Southern beers. It was pale rather than brown or orange and aggressively hopped. It changed for the worse in the early 1980s as they did a deal with Whitbread. I seem to recall that all of their tied houses sold real ale with the majority being in Lancashire and Greater Manchester.
    I know I used to enjoy it. This was mid to late 90s so after the Whitbread acquisition but before the reduction from 3.8% to 3.5% ABV.

Wikipedia to the rescue on the subject of Gold:

Boddingtons Pub Ale (4.6% ABV)
    A higher ABV version of Boddingtons Draught Bitter, brewed since 1993 for export markets. It was available in the United Kingdom from 1995–6 as Boddingtons Export. Also sold in the UK under the label "Manchester Gold".

Boddingtons started to ruin Boddingtons Bitter long before Whitbread became involved. It was a dull pale straw colour then (almost hazy) and very dry and bitter.
    When it became bright "shiny" and more golden coloured, it had changed out of all recognition.
    With the mention of Watneys, it reminded me the same thing happened to Wilsons Bitter. Wilsons ruined it themselves long before Watneys got hold of it! They actually admitted it when speaking at a Camra meeting. "We took so much out of it for economy, we had to decide to put some of it back again!"
    Nostalgia 'ain't what it used to be, but this is based on taste memory.
    Getting a little off subject for "yet another list"
    Last edited by AlanH; 20-09-2019 at 09:13.

Real Ale Drinker

Another beauty pageant.

Just the four for me:

The Golden Heart
    The Rose & Crown
    The Royal Oak
    The Stags Head

All certainly worth visiting for the great interiors if nothing else. Two are must-visits if you like Vitrolite ceilings!
    Just the 2 for me. The Duke William and The Wheatsheaf.

I used to do a bit of home brewing myself in those days and I think there was only one other hop available called North or Northern something.
    Are you thinking of this one? It's a "cross between East Kent Golding and a Brewer’s Gold male", apparently.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Are you thinking of this one? It's a "cross between East Kent Golding and a Brewer’s Gold male", apparently.
    Any Grapefruit notes ?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields