Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy St Patrick's day!

Default Happy St Patrick's day!

For our cousins across the Irish Sea, Happy St Patrick's day!

Sadly I won't be drinking JDW's special Irish beers (Hildfen's Irish Red springs to my head ) today because I am almost skint.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    For our cousins across the Irish Sea, Happy St Patrick's day!

Sadly I won't be drinking JDW's special Irish beers (Hildfen's Irish Red springs to my head ) today because I am almost skint.
    Both my local ';Spoons had it on "available soon" last night, presumably ready for today. I might pop in just to give it a sample but i'm certainly not going to hang around for any specific "celebrations". I think my BotW is already sorted for this week anyway!

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I may well sink a pint or two of the black stuff today, or a Hilden ale if I can find one.

I'm wondering if the 'Twats in Hats' turn out for St Paddy's Day in Edinburgh like they seem to in most other large cities.

St Patricks Day? Bah! We don't celebrate St Georges Day, do we? It's just a marketing scam - and personally, I don't need an excuse to drink Guinness, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    I may well sink a pint or two of the black stuff today, or a Hilden ale if I can find one.

I'm wondering if the 'Twats in Hats' turn out for St Paddy's Day in Edinburgh like they seem to in most other large cities.
    Quite right Clive. I'll be in the Nags Head Reading and the Bootlegger in High Wycombe drinking ENGLISH REAL ALE !!!! Its days like this when I'm unproud to be irish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default St pats Day

I was in my local Wetherspoons last night and I ended up trying the following Ales all were in good condition. But thats it for me this week as I'm on duty rest of the week after today. I wont bother tonight as you get too many once a year Drinkers in on days like today.

BOX STEAM FUNNEL BLOWER

OKELLS AILE

ARUNDEL BLACK BEASTIE

WARWICKSHIRE CHURCHYARD BOB
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

Isn’t the whole St Patrick’s Day thing in England one of the greatest marketing schemes ever devised? I honestly don’t remember any fuss at all, say, 20 years ago, regarding the 17th of March over here. Then Guinness seemed to co-opt the whole day into their ‘brand’ - which they have consistently been extremely good at pushing, and year by year England has become increasingly awash with English people falling about wearing oversized novelty shamrock hats and leprechaun related tat.

And as HTM69 points out, the English have never really gone in for celebrating their own patron saint the way that the Irish, Welsh and Scots do. Perhaps recently St George crosses have become more visible on April 23rd, but in my experience this seems largely done as an opportunity for the Daily Mail to blast, “It’s political correctness gone mad” above a picture of some angry-looking oaf who claims to have been banned from flying the English flag in his own garden.

A happy St Patrick’s Day to PG’s Irish members, though. (At least, to those who wish to celebrate it, before AEM gets fired up again…)

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Gazebo View Post
    Isn’t the whole St Patrick’s Day thing in England one of the greatest marketing schemes ever devised? I honestly don’t remember any fuss at all, say, 20 years ago, regarding the 17th of March over here. Then Guinness seemed to co-opt the whole day into their ‘brand’ - which they have consistently been extremely good at pushing, and year by year England has become increasingly awash with English people falling about wearing oversized novelty shamrock hats and leprechaun related tat.
    As a marketing exercise it is absolutely brilliant. At least it gets people going to pubs too.

I find it interesting to see Charles Wells trying to do the same for Bombardier on St Georges Day. I can't help wondering if CAMRA should be trying to turn April 23rd into Warm Beer Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Gazebo View Post
    A happy St Patrick’s Day to PG’s Irish members, though. (At least, to those who wish to celebrate it, before AEM gets fired up again…)
    My celebrations are going as far as wearing a green shirt as a nod to my Irish parentage. I certainly wont be visiting O'Neill's for a Guinness, although when I walk past later I shall have a laugh at those wearing the shamrock hats.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Dave just pointed out to me that Soup has been causing trouble on St Patrick's day.

Looks to me like that is the owner of the pub . Just in case anyone takes that the wrong way - I would far rather publicans took positive action rather than negative, so getting a regular to rebut or posting along with an invite to try the pub again suits me just fine.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I find it interesting to see Charles Wells trying to do the same for Bombardier on St Georges Day.
    Oddly enough my local has thankfully ignored St Paddy day entirely, but is getting some Bombadier in for St George's