Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 56 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Your plans in upcoming weeks

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    And of course the 3 (might now be 4) 'Spoons will be dishing them out at 9am if you get there early enough!
    Nope. Even the Babbington is only tentatively on-map as time is tight, and that would make 11 (pts), even before jokers. Mere bagatelle for you Roger, but not so for many of us, especially those badly lacking match practice, like me!
    I really want to make the Falstaff, especially reading RB's review but, as warned, it's way off route from the main direction of the crawl and still a jaunt back to station after.
    Thanks for opening time tips y'all, that should accommodate a staggered arrival for the meet. The staggering departure matters less.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Alex opens at 3. Brunswick is 11 - 11. Station 11:30 - 2:30 then 5 - 11.
    Quite clear, so why did I have it in my head that Brunswick was noon opening?
    We opted for the Station as the first meet, but it wasn't open at 11:45, and still wasn't when we walked back past at 12:20. Due to timing issues (train) and vertical difficulties at the end of the crawl, we didn't manage to return to tick the Bass from a jug. The other 10 were covered tho, including a taxi dash to Falstaff. I didn't have time to compile proper reviews, but I noted the beers at some. Splendid collection of pubs and, yes, I fell in love with the Brunswick.
    Two pubs on from the Brewery Tap I realised I'd been short-changed (from a £50), returned, till count, and... miracles happen - just as I was about to despair, they gave me £40 back! Actually, I think I must have gained a tenner on the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I realised I'd been short-changed (from a £50).
    I haven't seen a £50 since I was a cashier in Kensington in the early 90's! Glad you got to the Falstaff even though it was a bit off route. Another Brunny fan then - I have yet to find anyone who hasn't taken to the place. I'm surprised it is hardly ever mentioned in the the various "best pub in the world" lists that the press like to throw in our direction in their weekend supplements. Where else did you get to - I'll assume the Alex, Exeter Arms, Dolphin and the Flowerpot were 4.

Another Brunny fan then - I have yet to find anyone who hasn't taken to the place. I'm surprised it is hardly ever mentioned in the the various "best pub in the world" lists that the press like to throw in our direction in their weekend supplements.
    How many journos come from Derby?

Looks like Jim and I must have missed each other by a week! Derby is a great town for pubs (although the beer quality at the Alex was dubious, 3 of our 4 weren't good).

The Exeter was a lovely little pub - easy to overlook because it only does Marstons.

No, I can barely remember what a tenner looks like these days, never mind a bullseye - that was an exception.

Revamped running order was Babington, Brunswick, Smithfield, Exeter, Brewery Tap, Old Silk Mill, Olde Dolphin, Flowerpot, Falstaff, Alexandra. Well worth the bargain £6 rtn from london (could've been £2 if I went alone). If I had to drop one next time it would be the Exeter - the Burton Bitter went & they ended up with just Pedi & a dark Mild.

Rather a good Babington selection to get the day started...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1706.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	838.5 KB 
ID:	376

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    The Exeter was a lovely little pub - easy to overlook because it only does Marstons.
    Oops, our comments crossed there! I'd have preferred the pub to have offered something from the enlarged stable - most Marstons houses seem to stock, say, a Jennings these days.

The Silk Mill was the only one I haven't managed to get to. It had funny opening hours and was always shut whenever I walked past. I understand it was almost closed for good not too long ago. Unbelieveable that you did the Brunny as No 2. There probably wouldn't have been a No 3 if it were me.

It must be said that there are some shockers in Derby as well and not just among the obvious chain bars - Jorrocks and the Old Bell being 2 that we were lured into either by external beauty or historical value only to regret it.

I really do need to have another long weekend in Derby (as well as a proper lengthy jaunt around Sheffield and Nottingham).

Unbelieveable that you did the Brunny as No 2. There probably wouldn't have been a No 3 if it were me.
    The four of us were arriving at 3 different times, so was convenient near station; also, being probably the star of the day I wanted to see it before the vision became too dulled. If (when) I re-tour, I might consider wandering to the Falstaff first to avoid timing issues later on.

...as well as a proper lengthy jaunt around Sheffield and Nottingham.
    I've only done Sheff in segments, on my own, but a proper two-dayer with the team is high on the list. I still have 3 or 4 to tick myself, including the Tap. If anyone is travelling to Sheff, Derby, Nott, Leicester, especially midweek, I strongly recommend checking megatrain.com in advance - London-Sheff rtn, for instance, is currently available 20-21Oct for £5 ew.

Booked for Nottingham beerfest 15Oct, smash & grab in the afternoon then off to the pubs before the castle gets too busy. More pubs on 16th, then travel back Sat eve. Megatrain up £7, regular train back £17 (first class!).

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Oops, our comments crossed there! I'd have preferred the pub to have offered something from the enlarged stable - most Marstons houses seem to stock, say, a Jennings these days.
    Fair do's - the Exeter wasn't the best pub of the day as regards beer choice, but it was better than the Alex in terms of quality!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    ...it was better than the Alex in terms of quality!
    Must admit my memory of the Alex is, well, non-existant! Last pub of the day & all that (apart from my sneaky half back at Doric Arch) - one of two that I failed to record even illegible scribblings of beer range.