Ads not shown when logged in
Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 LastLast

Thread: Your plans in upcoming weeks

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Anyone have any tips for Munich?
    I believe one should have sweet mustard with weisswurst, but I ain't looked much further yet...
    Not in terms of beer, but if you're happy with lager it's great. We went in one place and just wanted a quick half before grabbing a bite to eat. Apparently the only measure they do is a two-pint jug. Oh well, when in Rome.... Somewhere else was absolutly enormous, the capacity must have been about 1,000.

I'll try and dig out some names. It's a lovely place and I'd like to go back. Oh yes, and you have to have curry sauce with your bratwurst.

This Space For Hire

I believe one should have sweet mustard with weisswurst, but I ain't looked much further yet...
    Sweet mustard indeed. Otherwise, it's respectful to observe local customs and not stand out, so get tooled up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Sweet mustard indeed. Otherwise, it's respectful to observe local customs and not stand out, so get tooled up.
    Like this?

20230413-080249_Chrome.jpg
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

This Space For Hire

Do you mean drinking in Munich or going to Oktoberfest in Munich, which are totally separate things. Well they ought to be, but sadly the big breweries have all set up Oktoberfest-type beer halls and gardens which run all year for the tourists. There are still many genuine pubs/bars/restaurants and there is an active craft sector (like the Tap House) and some smaller traditional breweries like Schneider, but if you want something completely different search for Boazn, the locals' bars, especially in the Giesing district. Sorry I haven't been for years so I won't recommend anywhere specific but you can find various listings on the net (just don't expect websites). Speaking of Giesing however, I have heard good things about Giesingerbrau.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Thanks Pangolin, sorry I didn't see your reply before I left but I did mean Munich outside Oktoberfest, but on a football trip that boundary may be a little blurred!
    Just back this morning, 1am, after 4 days in das feld.
    Augustiner seems to be very dominant, especially around the central Marienplatz area, but their helles and dunkel is fine. I had Tap House on my list but didn't manage to get over there, even with a day to kill after the boys had left early Fri, I just forgot! But I'm passing through again in Oct(!!) but after the festival, so will bear the above in mind. Prost!!

As mentioned elsewhere my trip to London is planned when the season ends. The aim was to tick a few of the oldest with a couple of extras thrown in.

Straight down to Wapping first to do the The Prospect of Whitby and Turners Old Star (because it was in the film Legend!).
    Then all they way up to Hampstead (hopping off at Tottenham Court Road to do The Flying Horse because my drinking partner for the day is a Spurs fan!)
    Planning to do the The Holly Bush and up to the Spaniards Inn.
    Back down to Holborn for a Spoons lunch and then the The Seven Stars, Cittie of Yorke, Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, The Old Bell and maybe The Black Friar.

Rough plan of course and it might not pan out that way but should be a good day with plenty new ticks for me!

I am a salmon !!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Straight down to Wapping first to do the The Prospect of Whitby and Turners Old Star (because it was in the film Legend!).
    Then all they way up to Hampstead...Planning to do the The Holly Bush and up to the Spaniards Inn.
    If you want to go on the Legend trail, there are four other pubs; done four out of five and all good.

If you're in NW3, the Flask (right-hand, front snug) is a very pleasant place for a drink and just three minutes' walk from the Holly Bush; the Spaniards is a bus ride, but worth a look.
    Last edited by Tris39; 28-05-2023 at 18:10.

Straight down to Wapping first to do the The Prospect of Whitby and Turners Old Star.
    Then all they way up to Hampstead (hopping off at Tottenham Court Road to do The Flying Horse )
    Planning to do the The Holly Bush and up to the Spaniards Inn.Back down to Holborn for a Spoons lunch and then the The Seven Stars, Cittie of Yorke, Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, The Old Bell and maybe The Black Friar.
    Wow! That's quite a schedule. Five pubs and some pretty substantial journeys before lunch, so I guess you'll be eating at about 5.30pm. Good luck!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Wow! That's quite a schedule. Five pubs and some pretty substantial journeys before lunch, so I guess you'll be eating at about 5.30pm. Good luck!
    Yep it's going to take some effort! The Prospect is open at 10 so we can get a head start, plus Spoons serve food all day

I am a salmon !!

Yep it's going to take some effort! The Prospect is open at 10 so we can get a head start, plus Spoons serve food all day
    An Impressive plan, It'll be a shame if you fall short of the Black Friar, definitely worth the look.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields