Ads not shown when logged in
Page 12 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Your plans in upcoming weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    A fleeting visit to York coming up but to celebrate a notable wedding anniversary so ale opportunities may be limited. I'm hopeful of at least a visit to The Maltings and anything else will be a bonus to be bestowed by a, hopefully, benign and cheerful Mrs Phat.
    If you go to York, a browse around Tadcaster would be nice .....
    Waes hael!

Well I don't think I'll be going to Barcelona for the semi!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Well I don't think I'll be going to Barcelona for the semi!
    Ah well, how about Maidenhead for Dartford's last game of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Ah well, how about Maidenhead for Dartford's last game of the season?
    That's more my level.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Ah well, how about Maidenhead ..?
    Can Maidenhead provide a decent crawl? I seem to recall it being tricky to make worthwhile suggestions when I was considering a trip, quite a way back.

Re 'forthcoming plans', I got a bit excited with the megabus/train cheapies to south coast & don't think I'll be holding beer vouchers to cover 02May (Southampton) AND 07May (Portsmouth) so, if anyone might like to use a couple of freebies Waterloo-Southampton on the bank holiday Monday, watch this space. If I don't use the booking (& it currently seems unlikely I will), then I can email the booking (no tkt, just show 'em the reference). Arr 13:15, dep 19:55, so 6.5hrs to scoot round some pubs, and there are some good ones, despite its rep.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Can Maidenhead provide a decent crawl? I seem to recall it being tricky to make worthwhile suggestions when I was considering a trip, quite a way back.
    Never been there but the ground (now the oldest continuously used football ground in the world) is right in the town centre and there are half a dozen reasonable looking pubs closeby with a couple a bit further out. I don't think there are any "essentials" but there does seem to be a decent mix of beers between them. Admittedly there are 2 'Spoons but they appear to be traditional pubs rather than converted car showrooms so should at least have a bit more character than normal and 1 will be used for a breakfast starter! As Quinno says, it is the Darts last league game of the season so there will be a few travelling and the fans do like an end of season party!

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

We are taking the caravan to Old Windsor for 6 nights at Easter so that we can do the much acclaimed Egham United Services fest.

Hope to get to pubs in the area while there as it is a new slate for us.

From there we go to Oxford for 7 nights so that we can get a train to Reading for the fest and have a mosey round Oxford pubs and any worth getting to in the area.

Next we head over to Banbury for 5 nights to do the fest there and any pubs worth visiting.

Should be a good 3 weeks.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    We are taking the caravan to Old Windsor for 6 nights at Easter so that we can do the much acclaimed Egham United Services fest.

Hope to get to pubs in the area while there as it is a new slate for us.

From there we go to Oxford for 7 nights so that we can get a train to Reading for the fest and have a mosey round Oxford pubs and any worth getting to in the area.

Next we head over to Banbury for 5 nights to do the fest there and any pubs worth visiting.

Should be a good 3 weeks.
    Some very good pubs in Oxford though they can be a bit tourist overkill at weekends especially the better known ones like the Lamb and Flag , Eagle and Child , Kings Arms , Turf and the White Horse , the Turf is a sod to find but allways busy . One of the good lesser known pubs is the Grapes by the Theartre a good city centre boozer
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

The Grapes in Oxford is a new one for me. Go to the others you mentioned, although I had an issue at the Turf a few years back when they had glasses under taps with beer in. It was being used to top up glasses when someone asked for that beer.
    I was told beer doesn't stand for more than about 10 mintes when I queried it after standing to the side so I could watch what they were doing, but it was a dodgy practice and I always check where my beer is coming from now when I go there.
    Another we go to is Far from the Maddening Crowd, and St Aldgates that used to be a Hobgoblin pub is worth a visit too.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    The Grapes in Oxford is a new one for me. Go to the others you mentioned, although I had an issue at the Turf a few years back when they had glasses under taps with beer in. It was being used to top up glasses when someone asked for that beer.
    I was told beer doesn't stand for more than about 10 mintes when I queried it after standing to the side so I could watch what they were doing, but it was a dodgy practice and I always check where my beer is coming from now when I go there.
    Another we go to is Far from the Maddening Crowd, and St Aldgates that used to be a Hobgoblin pub is worth a visit too.
    The Grapes is unusual for an Oxford pub as its not overrun with tourists or students , its a proper local with usually 4 ales on and plenty of characters , used to enjoy the odd pint in the Mitre on the high street , more for the pub itself than the beer
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !