Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Your plans in upcoming weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Crossste View Post
    Cheers Rob,

Looks like Scarborough, beer wise, is going down the pan a bit.

We stayed at the North Riding a few years ago. A big Camerons house on the corner IIRC. I,ll give ,em a ring and see if they still do B&B.

Thanks for the heads up on the newer ones.
    The North Riding is now a freehouse with links to Yorkshire Dales brewery.

Stuart & Karen source their regular beer festivals by getting in the van and travelling hundreds of miles to pick up all the various beers, so you could get lucky wth your stay. They still do B & B, but we haven't stayed there yet. It's been refurbished quite a bit since they took over as well.

Another newcomer to the real ale scene is the United Sports Bar. It doesn't sound like the kind of place you'd go for good beer, but it's made the GBG 2010.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I thought I'd revive this thread. Wetting my whistle in Bloxwich, on the Severn Valley Railway and around Belper this month has whetted my appetite for some more crawls.

I've been reading about the Churnet Valley Railway http://www.churnet-valley-railway.co...uidetoline.php . The Black Lion seems like a fab pub. My mate did one of the walks from the CAMRA Book of Peak District Pub Walks (even though it's in Staffordshire). This pub was the first one on Walk Number 24 - he wished it had been the last because he wanted to stay all day. I'd like to visit this pub along with some others along the CVR line.

I'm looking forward to a visit to Youlgreave and Lathkil near to Bakewell in Derbyshire - 4 pubs in all.

Cornwall is on the horizon. Some near to where I'll be staying but the group who recently visited their 15,000th pub on an epic crawl said that The Highwayman in Sourton, Devon was their favourite so I may have to do that one too.

Looking a bit further ahead I've got a Black Country crawl arranged by minibus, from Stourbridge to Wolverhampton via Worsdley, Himley, Lower Gornal and Sedgley.

I'm making the most of it.
    Waes hael!

Well apart from a beer festival this bank holiday weekend, followed by a week of just work with NO BEER allowed, then a half week in Hampshire (boozing I hope), I haven't a clue. I rather fancy an overnighter in Shrewsbury having had my appetite whetted by the good General et al. Another day in Manchester or Liverpool sounds good as well, and there's still lots of pubs in York or even Scarborough I haven't visited.

I have a Portsmouth / Isle Of Wight weekend coming up in September but that's about it apart from any Dartford away games that naturally involve checking out the local watering holes. Mrs B now has a new job that involves working away from home a lot and since she can reclaim hotel and driving expenses, I may take advantage of a few effectively freebie midweek trips if she is posted anywhere interesting enough and I have enough flexitime to fall back on.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Going to see what's on offer in Carlisle today, then we are centered at Corbridge Friday to Monday when we leave to go to York. Love the pubs and the city so will have a good 4 nights there. We then go to Driffield so we can have a trip round the Swift Caravan Factory in Hull probably Saturday 4th. Don't know of the pubs around there but will find some watering holes.

Sept 9th we will be at Tamworth beer festival before going to Minehead for 3 nights so we can get to Minehead beer festival, another favourite. We move back northwards for 2 nights at Teversal Notts then on to Ferryhill so we can go to Darlington Rhythm and Brews fest 17th. We will also find a train from Darlington I am sure so we can get to York festival on 16th. Need to work that one out yet. Then we hit a BLANK week in the diary. Must try harder. May even get round some local pubs to renew membership!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Booked for 8.5hrs whiz round Derby's premier hostelries 08Sep.
    Way things are looking, that may well be the next pint(s) I get! & the wine rack will be looking very bare by then...

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Booked for 8.5hrs whiz round Derby's premier hostelries
    Sorry folks, I recall someone was kind enough to advise that one of the big two nr station didn't open 'til noon, but can't recall which. Also, does that mean t'other opens at 11am? Will just help for advanced planning for the meet, just in case I'm appearing a little over-fussy on detail. Ta.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Sorry folks, I recall someone was kind enough to advise that one of the big two nr station didn't open 'til noon, but can't recall which. Also, does that mean t'other opens at 11am? Will just help for advanced planning for the meet, just in case I'm appearing a little over-fussy on detail. Ta.
    I think, when OB and I went, the Alexandra Hotel didn't open until later - 3ish or something, i think we went on a Tue, but cant remember now
    MILD:

Alex opens at 3. Brunswick is 11 - 11. Station 11:30 - 2:30 then 5 - 11.

Alex has been dropped from 2011 GBG and the Station has re-entered.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

And of course the 3 (might now be 4) 'Spoons will be dishing them out at 9am if you get there early enough!