Ads not shown when logged in
Page 38 of 56 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Your plans in upcoming weeks

Default London Visit

London visit

This Tuesday I will be attempting my first major assault on the capital (albeit a mere 3 and a half hours) This is more of a snapping expedition rather than a pub crawl and was wondering if there was any must see pubs as I will certainly be having a few along my way
    The area will either be around Kings Cross and walking down in the direction of Russell Square or more likely to the other side of Euston station and to the left of Tottenham Court Road.
    I have found in the major cities when snapping pubs that up 20% of time is taken up waiting to cross roads and the reason why I have not quite finalised the route.

Your help would be much appreciated

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Cornwall summer.
    Just arrived in Cornwall and going to the launch of the Falmouth Pub Guide today in the Packet McSpoons. Heard 2 pubs in Penryn having a beer fest this weekend and never been to either so will have a look in them on the way back to the caravan. Number 20 and Thirsty Scholar.

St Ives beer festival coming up too and will be chasing pub fests. Some new pubs have appeared in the Good Beer Guide in the area, so may get some decent crawls in. May find some good pubs, but beer variety will be poor I expect. Hoping to get some good walks in though with a welcome pub at the end to meet Ray in.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rover View Post
    London visit

This Tuesday I will be attempting my first major assault on the capital (albeit a mere 3 and a half hours) This is more of a snapping expedition rather than a pub crawl and was wondering if there was any must see pubs as I will certainly be having a few along my way
    The area will either be around Kings Cross and walking down in the direction of Russell Square or more likely to the other side of Euston station and to the left of Tottenham Court Road.
    I have found in the major cities when snapping pubs that up 20% of time is taken up waiting to cross roads and the reason why I have not quite finalised the route.

The London chaps will be more use but as I travel via Kings Cross here's a few we have used,

firstly I wouldn't bother going to Euston and the Bree Louise although we thought the Euston Flyer was OK if pricy but didn't have time for the Parcel Yard another recommended Fullers pub.

Nearer Kings Cross / St Pancras the King Charles I is recommended for beer and atmos. Over the other side of the Euston Road are the Skinner's Arms and Mabel's Tavern the first for the interior the second for decent Shep's beer. If you're heading deeper into town the Lamb in Lamb's Conduit St is a don't miss pub but not as good beer wise as it was I suspect. The Betjeman Arms in St Pancras station probably ought to be included but I haven't been in yet.

A short list but I tend to avoid the smoke as much as possible.

London visit

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I tend to avoid the smoke as much as possible.
    That would be my advice. If you're going to a Fuller's or "Craft" pub be prepared to take out a second mortgage. People say that the Euston Tap is good but I believe it's the size of a broom cupboard.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

London visit

Oldboots has already given some decent suggestions,the area you have chosen is not blessed with classic pubs IMHO.If you are looking for a decent pint ,I often pop into The Euston Tap where the cask ale is not priced outrageously,the keg often is.Interesting building,small interior as Aqualung says and you could always visit the Cider Tap opposite in an identical building.The Doric Arch at Euston Station is a Fullers with a decent selection of guests ales,not cheap although the 15% CAMRA discount may help.It has a lot of railway memorabilia.The other interesting Fullers pub is the Parcel Yard at Kings Cross,well worth a look.Finally The Queens Head nearby is worth a squint,only a few cask ales but often from interesting London micros and more unusual kegs.

Enjoy your day
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

London visit

If you're planning on the area west of Tottenham Court Road and east of Great Portland St (if you're looking at the map, that's left; if you're looking at London from the front of Euston Station, it's right ), then traffic won't be much of a problem once you're across the Euston Road. The Tap will be fine as long as you can be in & out before 4:00 (5:00 latest), before the post-work / pre-Virgin cheap ticket blackout period really kicks in.

I can't say I know the area in detail (for pubs at least), but I note that there's a Draft House in that area which might turn up something interesting. I would suggest quality probably diminishes the nearer you get to Oxford St! The Pubs Galore map suggests a very high concentration of pubs round here (more so than Kings Cross / Russell Square), which will assist your photo efforts.

If you are heading between Euston & Kings Cross, the Somers Town Coffee House seems to be well-regarded.

Enjoy your day out.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    The Doric Arch [/URL]...although the 15% CAMRA discount may help.
    I didn't know that!

Thanks for all the tips and info but please don't be offended if I miss some, but if I am close by will give them a go.

The London trip went well even with the inclement weather. All the 6 pubs I called in were ok

The Wheatsheaf
    The Old Explorer
    The Doric Arch
    Mabel's Tavern
    Draft House
    Jeremy Bentham

Liked Mabel's Tavern and The Doric Arch possibly the best

We never really have the chance to get away during the summer because of our work, but we will be in Yorkshire for our son's graduation next weekend, and plan to see some of our old favourites, and hopefully some new pubs. May not have the chance to hit York in any meaningful manner, but we will do our best!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.