Ads not shown when logged in
Page 24 of 56 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Your plans in upcoming weeks

Back up in Cambridge this weekend.
    Currently sitting in the Geldart staring at 8 pumps.
    A previously in reviewed pub close to the Holy Trinity I will be gladly adding this one to the 'should Visits' when in Cambridge
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    I don't usually drink that early in the week, I tend to break the duck on a Thursday. If you don't fancy the N/4 proper, take a trip down the road to the Angel, especially if it's a decent day. Much cheaper than the Marble Arch, a decent range, and barmaids more pleasing on the eye...
    Thanks for the steer on The Angel,barmaids and all.On my one and only trip to The Marble Arch,there was a very attractive barmaid serving that lunchtime,but judgement may have been clouded by the consumption of five pints of Lagonda IPA.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

After a fantastic few days exploring the 15 Good Beer Guide pubs in Norwich, our next trip is to Belgium to explore round some of the Abbey breweries there for a few days.

Then its the Salmon, Leicester for a new brewery beer festival before taking the caravan to Sheffield area to do the festival there, our Black Country trip, then on to Arnold for the Nottingham festival.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Off to Wakefield this weekend for a wedding so should be a few new pubs for me !!

I am a salmon !!

York beer festival on Thursday, 230 beers to check out, I may be some time but hopefully ready for Todmorden Beer Fest on Saturday.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I've booked train to Lewes 06Oct for the Snowdrop's 'Great Beer Exposition 2012'. If any southern based PGers cannot make the previous day's Black Country tour or, unlikely, survived the excesses of the Black Country tour, I'll be staggering around between noon & 18:00-ish (I think).
    That'll be me then, although I expect to confine my staggering to trips between seat and temporary bar outside; plus down South Street back to the station
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Back up in Cambridge this weekend.
    Currently sitting in the Geldart staring at 8 pumps.
    A previously in reviewed pub close to the Holy Trinity I will be gladly adding this one to the 'should Visits' when in Cambridge
    Crikey! Cambridge is getting trickier by the post!

Bucking Fastard and myself toured 8 of the city's finest (well, 7 + 1) last week - I've mapped the route on a pub crawl (but I do wish I could now edit it and and a few comments). As I can't, the notes are here (supplementing the reviews already completed by BF and my ongoing efforts to remember what the last few pubs were like!):

• I decided we had to plan around the city's abstemious attitude to afternoon drinking and that this was best achieved by heading straight to The Salisbury and checking maps - a good starter handy for the station.
    • Next round the corner to The Live & Let Live, and straight past, as that one didn't even open at lunchtimes (contrary to the pub's website and even the notice in the window - later in the day, we had a suggestion that the landlord's commitment was flagging, although we didn't get a chance to properly investigate ourselves).
    • The next two were in close proximity - Free Press and Elm Tree. Mild & sandwiches in the former, Belgian beer passed over in the latter. A brief website perusal suggests that the nearby The First & Last and Clarendon may also be worth a call.
    • After some sightseeing (managing to sneak into one of the colleges round the back and strolling confidently out the front entrance), we popped into the disappointing Pickerel (as the Castle further up the road closes during the afternoon).
    • We also needed a backup for the St Radegund and decided upon The Hopbine (although not directly, as our printed maps just didn't have enough back-street detail to get us there without an unintended diversion almost to the Free Press again!).
    • On the home straight now and on to the beer temples of The Cambridge Blue and Kingston Arms - the former in particular appealed to me, although it's probably as well we don't have anywhere that enticing in Horsham.
    • Lastly, The Devonshire was conveniently en-route back to the train. Friendly locals here who happily tolerate well-oiled pub reviewers.

Pictures have been submitted and should appear soon.

And you tell me that there are still more to investigate? It's a tough life.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

We've just booked a couple of days near The Kings Head in Gunnerside when we take our son back to York Uni. I doubt if we'll try many new pubs, though I've just realised that I haven't reviewed this pub for PUG-I don't know why.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Working all weekend but sandwiched in between is three hours or so on the R.A.T. (Real Ale Train), basically an evening on a steam train on the Watercress line ,Alton to Alresford and back a couple of times drinking ale,(bright beer).Been a couple of times before and can recommend. Featured breweries this time are Triple fff and Bowmans, should be good.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Got next week off work , in the pipeline so far is on wednesday a trip to London involving as alwaysThe Harp,plus The Castle, The Craft Beer Co and The Gunmakers, as well as another one or two to be decided.Then on either Thursday or Friday a visit to the Le Gothique Dark Beer Festival,also involving an early visit to The Harp and possibly The Eagle Ale House.Friday's previously planned trip to Reading may now take place on Saturday or put back in favour to another visit to Oxford.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 23-10-2012 at 08:06. Reason: To many Fridays
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields