Ads not shown when logged in
Page 9 of 56 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Your plans in upcoming weeks

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Default Off to the Coast

Next weekend I’ve got a few days in Llandudno, not really a drinking trip so there won‘t be a blog, although I might drop in for a post now and again. It‘s just a bit of solo R&R, I do find the coast quite relaxing and like the nostalgic feel of a seaside town with a pier. I’ll probably visit a few nearby places, Conwy looks a good place to explore and has a few pubs. Didn’t get a great deal of inspiration from Trainman’s request about Prestatyn and Rhyl so will probably avoid those.

Then in October it’s off to Liverpool for a boozy trip with some mates, including Grailhunter. So you can look forward to the Scouse Blog for that one.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Llandudno is a pleasant enough place and Conway is an historic walled town well worth a visit. Prestatyyn and Rhyl are low end resorts surrounded by caravan parks. Lets just say I have never been impressed by them.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Bangor has some decent pubs I recall from admittedly some years back. If you have transport a trip over the bridge to Anglesey is worthwhile.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Having had a superb day at Tamworth Thursday and 2 brilliant days at Minehead yesterday and today we are heading northwards tomorrow. Probably a quiet couple of nights in Teversal Notts, then up to Ferryhill, Co Durham so we can go to York Thursday - tickets already paid for with Singles from Darlington being only £3+. Fantastic list out for that one. Then Darlington Friday and Saturday with another good list. Hope to find the Surtees Arms, Ferryhill that has got Pub of the Year while there too.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Not an upcoming plan (yet) but this is under the pub crawl banner, so what the heck...

Last time I was up at the Wenlock (looking increasingly to be in jeopardy if anyone wants to tick it now, just in case), I was surprised to see one of Boris' bike racks nearby. With the Wenlock being a few mins stroll off the beaten path, my old pal Tigerdrinker typically, and enthusiastically, suggested a future crawl using the new London bike scheme as the means of transport.

It kind of sounds like a laugh, but also highly dangerous later in the day. Who, here, would enter into such madness?

ie consider such a plan - replying will not commit you to the event if it happens, tho it'd be churlish not to post the route in advance, if it does.
    Last edited by trainman; 16-09-2010 at 16:01. Reason: disclaimers not required

Former Pubs Galore Coder

A close friend and the designer who originally designed the PuG site is a cycling nut, he has also at times had hollow legs, I do wonder how he is still alive sometimes.

Anyway I am sure I must have mentioned it, but many years ago during my A-levels I attended a forensic science lecture, the lecturer was a practising forensic scientist, one of those people who knew their job and told a good story. Sadly I suspect that they are a different breed these days, but I digress. One of his stories related to drink cycling, it was to do with the fact that he was pointing out how boring his job actually was as 99% of it was testing blood samples for alcohol. He was keen to point out he had no respect for drink drivers, stupid fools get drunk sit down and think they can drive.

He then went on to regale us with the story of a cyclist who was pulled with the equivalent of 12 pints (this number probably goes up every time I tell it) in his blood and still had the bike upright, that apparently impressed him .

It was an excellent lecture actually, I hope he is still enjoying his work.

Hehehe, reminds me of a visit to Bramcote's 'Top House' (White Lion) the last pub of a long Nottingham crawl, where we met another chap doing a crawl - on a unicycle! He reckoned he that was his 8th pub, but I shamefully failed to ascertain whether that was on pints or not. There's a photo loaded of him with the bike, the others in shot were part of our tour, but I don't feature. Phew! Friends say he was witnessed unicycling off up the road a little later.

Not really a booze plan, but I will definately be incorporating a few stops in pubs if we partake again this weekend.

But just a quick reminder to all the London based PuG members that it is Open House weekend on Saturday and Sunday when you can get through the doors of institutions usually closed to the great unwashed...
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post

But just a quick reminder to all the London based PuG members that it is Open House weekend on Saturday and Sunday when you can get through the doors of institutions usually closed to the great unwashed...
    Thanks for that Gann, I've never heard of it - maybe the keepers of the buildings don't want any actual visitors! It would be of some interest to me, and great interest (I think) to a good friend. May be a little late to get organised unless I pay for the online guide - can't see any list of 'open' venues anywhere, tho one site suggested guides can be picked up free at libraries?

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    I saw in the Standard that Brixton Academy is open on Sunday to all and sundry to trape through the backstage areas and collect disused chewing gum from discreet furniture joints for future sale on e-bay but didn't realise it was a wider thing.