Ads not shown when logged in
Page 20 of 56 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Your plans in upcoming weeks

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Dont do a Moby and miss the White Horse , not done Oxford for a few years i used to like the Grapes but i have heard its changed and not for the better

Only did half a dozen or so pubs in Cambridge and found them a bit dissapointing beer wise , Oxford much better
    Say it ain't so, Oggwyn! I fancy a trip to Cambridge myself next month (kind of got Oxford covered already, sort of).
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Just booked an Overnight for Saturday night in Oxford as the wife was getting restless after 2 weeks glued in front of the Tele..
    Did Cambridge back in May so have decided to go for the University double..
    Think I have identified most of the must do's and have followed Mobyducks recent reviews
    Dont do a Moby and miss the White Horse , not done Oxford for a few years i used to like the Grapes but i have heard its changed and not for the better

Only did half a dozen or so pubs in Cambridge and found them a bit dissapointing beer wise , Oxford much better
    No dont do a Moby ,missing out the white horse was a bit of a schoolboy error I think. as for the rest of my list all recommended bar two which I wouldn't return to, Far from the Madding Crowd did nothing for me at all and Jude the Obscure wasn't worth the extra little walk out of town, all the other pubs were worth the visit,although the beer in the chequers was obscenely cold. Best Pub by far for beer quality was the Royal Blenhim ,highly recommended .Gann I'm sure you will enjoy your visit.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Although Far from the Maddening Crowd is not like a traditional pub, I have found on my visits to Oxford it often has one of the best range of beer in Oxford and I don't miss it out for that reason.

We are off to a new area for us today, Chertsey, as we are travelling from there to Egham for the United Services Club's excellent beer festival over the next 3 days.

Anyone recommend somewhere to visit in Chertsey tonight?
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    I fancy a trip to Cambridge myself next month .
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Then Bank Holiday Monday the mighty Darts have their first decent awayday at Cambridge United so a few pubs beckon.
    Paul,it sounds like Roger will do his usual thorough recce around Cambridge shortly,so that should give some pointers as to where decent ale can be found.Sadly progress on The Cambridge Tap has been much delayed.And a lot of the charming small community locals in Cambridge are tied to GK,which brings it's own problems if you are looking for interesting beers.
    Although Cambridge is a remote outpost of the Inland Waterways network,it is only 1hr 20 mins by(that new fangled ! ) railway from where I live,so if you dont mind me tagging along ,I am happy to help in your quest for discovery.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Thanks Oggwyn, comment about the White Horse duly noted and 'on map'..

And my experience of Cambridge was that it is a fine ale town, just not in the centre..
    For an ale trail the best thing to do is stay close to the station and I added a bit of a crawl to assist..
    But if traveling with 'her who must be obeyed' for a city visit, book accommodation to the south of town, spend one day being dragged round all the colleges with an odd pint in one of the tourist traps, and then spend the second day walking the back streets to the South and East of town..
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Wow! I couldn't agree with that. I only did oxford once but wasn't really impressed, although I cannot evidence why - having lost copious notes in/around pub 11 (of 12).
    Really like Cambridge though, even if prev fav Live&Let Live needs to up its game to return to the top division. Shortage of time meant I didn't get out to the Red Lion Histon last time but will try to do that 15min bus ride next visit. The excellent Cambridge Blue has changed shape slightly and now offers more bar space and, well, space, inside. Kingston had a stellar beer line up and I didn't see any of the ludicrous reserved signs (early sat pm). I always call in Elm Tree (bloke who used to have Reading Hobgoblin), but it's still not quite there for me. I added geldhardt to last list, but can't remember it, or Devonshire.
    Paul, if you get more than 2 travelling from Londonium, look out for groupsaves (4-4-2, 3-4-2).

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

As i said on my Cambridge visit i only managed half a dozen pubs in the centre , all but one GK , never got around to the further out ones , blame the wife .

I have been to Oxford 3 or 4 times and have always enjoyed drinking there , it helps as most of the good pubs are close together
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Although Cambridge is a remote outpost of the Inland Waterways network,it is only 1hr 20 mins by(that new fangled ! ) railway from where I live,so if you dont mind me tagging along ,I am happy to help in your quest for discovery.
    Well, that's well worth considering - I have a week off 10th - 14th September and would hope to get to Cambridge during that period.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

[QUOTE=Bucking Fastard;47599]Paul,it sounds like Roger will do his usual thorough recce around Cambridge shortly,so that should give some pointers as to where decent ale can be found.[QUOTE]

Yes, I should be able to remember half of where I intend to go! I believe young Quinno will be joinng me so he will hopefully remember the other half.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    Well, that's well worth considering - I have a week off 10th - 14th September and would hope to get to Cambridge during that period.
    Monday,Wednesday or Thursday of that week would suit me fine,plus the steers from Roger and Quinno.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson