Ads not shown when logged in
Page 33 of 56 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Your plans in upcoming weeks

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    I'm arriving by train at around 12:00 - 12:30 and hope to get out to Horse & Jockey in Stapleford before making my way back to the City Ground in time for a 15:00 kick-off. .
    Looks a tough ask, with buses I4 & 24 taking 28m & 24min to/from Canal St. (www.transportdirect.info is good for this stuff)
    I wondered whether the tram would get you close enough, but more likely you'd be forking out for a cab for this one PSM, 5/6 miles maybe not too bad if you can share? I'm up there next Sat and most likely get out to H&J, especially as my local representation failed to get advance beerfest tkts, which have sold out, so probably crawl only, which isn't a hardship in a place like Nottingham! I’ll try to report back re Stapleford travel.

If you thought H&J was too risky, & if you haven't been here, I would highly recommend the Crown and the Victoria in Beeston, also the Hop Pole is getting decent press although I can't think I've been. Beeston is just 6mins on train from Nottingham stn, or the London train arriving 12:26 stops there on the way through.
    Last edited by trainman; 04-10-2013 at 12:12.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Having a few days in Leek at the moment, and have found a couple of excellent pubs new to us here, the Roebuck and Cock Inn. Will get a trip to Buxton too I expect.

We have advance tickets for Nottingham fest for Thursday and Friday, but decided to pass on Saturday and go round some pubs as the new Lincoln Green pub near the Organ Grinder should be open.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Sounds great! I think menus with ale-matching ought to have a good future, but the likely takers (usual suspects) probably perceive it as somewhat pretentious, and the oenophiles somewhat what!!?
    Pretentious? Moi?
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Pretentious? Moi?
    Pas de tout! Mais les autres, avec des barbes peut-etre...

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Looks a tough ask, with buses I4 & 24 taking 28m & 24min to/from Canal St. (www.transportdirect.info is good for this stuff)
    I wondered whether the tram would get you close enough, but more likely you'd be forking out for a cab for this one PSM, 5/6 miles maybe not too bad if you can share? I'm up there next Sat and most likely get out to H&J, especially as my local representation failed to get advance beerfest tkts, which have sold out, so probably crawl only, which isn't a hardship in a place like Nottingham! I’ll try to report back re Stapleford travel.

If you thought H&J was too risky, & if you haven't been here, I would highly recommend the Crown and the Victoria in Beeston, also the Hop Pole is getting decent press although I can't think I've been. Beeston is just 6mins on train from Nottingham stn, or the London train arriving 12:26 stops there on the way through.
    Thanks for the info - looking at the transportdirect site, it seems I can work it so that I get just under an hour at the H&J, assuming my train arrives on time and the traffic is okay. Interested to hear how you get on.

I did the three Beeston pubs you mentioned when I was up there last year (plus another one called 'The Bar'). The Crown and Victoria in particular were excellent and I was tempted to revisit, but I always enjoy trying somewhere new where possible. I'll also be doing four or five West Bridgeford pubs after the match.
    Unfortunately I won't have time for the Falcon Inn (Lincoln Green Brewery) or the new craft beer bar 'The Ned Ludd' which opened this week.

I'll stay on me own

I need a bit of advice for my next trip which will be to Nottingham on the 19th. I'm arriving by train at around 12:00 - 12:30 and hope to get out to Horse & Jockey in Stapleford before making my way back to the City Ground in time for a 15:00 kick-off. I've got no idea if this is possible or if I'd end up with an unsatisfyingly short visit to the pub before having to head back - hopefully Al or someone else with a bit of local knowledge can let me know if they think this is feasible, as Stapleford looks like a bit of a trek from the city centre.

I'll be following this up with a weekend in Canterbury for a mate's stag do.
    Hi Pubsignman,

Sorry about delay in getting back to you,i have been unwell was taken to hospital on Wednesday and then had my hernia op yesterday so i feel pretty rough at the mo.

You will need the catch the I4 from broadmarsh bus station,this is almost opposite the Fellows,Morton and Clayton pub,these buses run every 10 minutes on the hour then every 10 minutes after,the bus should take about 23 minutes to the Horse and Jockey,when you pass the Nags Head and Plough on your right the stop for the Horse and Jockey is the next one,just walk down hill.

When travelling back get the bus from outside the Chequers,this can bee seen from the Horse and Jockey get the I4 again,dont be tempted to get on any other buses going to Nottingham,they will take longer,stay on the bus to broadmarsh and get any bus going to West Bridegford,these are any Radcliffe line bus,buses to Cotgrave,Bingham and Ruddington,it only takes about 5 minutes to the stop just before Trent Bridge.

You will need to get a Zig Zag ticket which costs £5.00

If you neen any other help please ask.

Cheers Alan

I am enjoying Leek Blues and Americana Festival being held round Leek pubs. In Cock Inn having a great time. Joules beers and Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby plus good music. Don't usually do music in pubs.

Yorkshire via Rutland next weekend.Some new pubs but mainly old favourites:The Cover Bridge Inn
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    Hi Pubsignman,

Sorry about delay in getting back to you,i have been unwell was taken to hospital on Wednesday and then had my hernia op yesterday so i feel pretty rough at the mo.

You will need the catch the I4 from broadmarsh bus station,this is almost opposite the Fellows,Morton and Clayton pub,these buses run every 10 minutes on the hour then every 10 minutes after,the bus should take about 23 minutes to the Horse and Jockey,when you pass the Nags Head and Plough on your right the stop for the Horse and Jockey is the next one,just walk down hill.

When travelling back get the bus from outside the Chequers,this can bee seen from the Horse and Jockey get the I4 again,dont be tempted to get on any other buses going to Nottingham,they will take longer,stay on the bus to broadmarsh and get any bus going to West Bridegford,these are any Radcliffe line bus,buses to Cotgrave,Bingham and Ruddington,it only takes about 5 minutes to the stop just before Trent Bridge.

You will need to get a Zig Zag ticket which costs £5.00

If you neen any other help please ask.

Cheers Alan
    Thanks Al - sorry to hear you've been unwell. Hope you have a speedy recovery and are back in the boozer soon.

The frequency of buses should make this a lot more straightforward than I'd expected. Just one question - do I buy the zig-zag ticket from the bus driver?

Thanks Al - sorry to hear you've been unwell. Hope you have a speedy recovery and are back in the boozer soon.

The frequency of buses should make this a lot more straightforward than I'd expected. Just one question - do I buy the zig-zag ticket from the bus driver?
    Believe you do, and someone said there is a discount if you show a CAMRA card. Arranged by Steve from Nottingham CAMRA.