Ads not shown when logged in
Page 52 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Your plans in upcoming weeks

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Off to Walthamstow today to check if the good ale pubs around Hoe street have survived the pandemic, and then try out what is becoming known as the Blackhorse Beer mile. Hopefully will gather enough positives to be able to put together an Aqualung memorial crawl at a later date.
    This should rekindle my Walthamstow pub days before the 20th century.

Chippenham in Tuesday. Watford or Oxford on Weds. Berwick on Tweed in mid-October. Given the general situation re overseas holidays, I think my birthday week in January will be in Northern Ireland!! That's about as overseas as I can get!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    This should rekindle my Walthamstow pub days before the 20th century.
    Was that in a previous life ?
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Day trips to Halifax, Stockport (first visit) and Leeds booked in for the next month, thanks Northern Rail.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Was that in a previous life ?
    It was! About a week ago I wrote a cheque with the year of 2020; I operate greatly in arrears.

Glass Half Full

I'm visiting Chester in a few days, Durham in about three weeks and a long weekend in Buxton in mid-November, so hoping to take in quite a few pubs and ales on those expeditions

Default Belper, Thursday 18th November 2021

I am planning a trip to Belper with some Sheffield friends. As they are working and I am retired, they have picked the day: Thursday, 18th November.

I went to Belper a few weeks back and concentrated on pubs I hadn't done before. All were very good. I have no reason to believe that all the pubs I had previously been to have gone downhill, so this makes for a remarkably good group of pubs for a town of around 20,000 people. My only plan so far is to start at the Devonshire (formerly the Duke of Devonshire) near the station, which opens at 12 noon, and finish just across the road at the Riflemans Arms, which is a later opener at 4pm.

Check these out:

Devonshire
    Lion
    Railway
    Old Kings Head
    Angels Micropub
    Nags Head
    Grapes
    Queens Head
    Belper House
    Arkwrights
    George & Dragon
    Riflemans Arms

The middle section, from the Angels to the Belper House, involves the most walking, including some steepish hills, but the other eight are fairly close together near the centre of town. There are others I haven't been to yet (the Tavern, the Cross Keys and the Thorn Tree), either because they are a bit out of the way or because they have not been open when I've been there. I will be looking again at all these pubs in more detail nearer the time, especially with regard to opening times.

Belper is reached by train via Derby (there's also a bus service), and we are going for the train that gets into Belper at 12:45. Return trains to Derby are at 16:36, 17:35, 17:59, 18:35 and then roughly hourly. If anyone is interested in joining us, that would be great.
    Come On You Hatters!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I will have a local guide in May, a member of our Anglo-Espana Ale Society, hopefully steering the team toward the best local tapas/beer options and combos, but anyone have any must-do suggestions for Mallorca/Majorca please?
    Magaluf will be off-map..!!
    Cheers, tm

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

It's the annual booze cruise with the usual suspects coming up soon ,so just in case any forum members happen to be in these locations in the evening ,it would be good to meet up.We are normally in the pub by 6pm.

Friday June 24th -- Loughborough
    Saturday 25th -- Nottingham
    Sunday 26th -- Newark
    Monday 27th -- Lincoln
    Tuesday 28th -- South Kyme
    Wednesday 29th - Friday July 1st -- Boston in the evenings,down the navigable drains in the area during the day.

Here's hoping.....................
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Hopping to and from Yorkshire in connection with a property purchase, otherwise trying to fill in a few gaps, including a trip to the Isle of Wight, transport permitting.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement