Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Friday Stats: February 2010

Default Friday Stats: February 2010

Pubs Galore had 122,000 visits in February 2010, this was up from 115,000 in February 2009 and up on the 117,000 in January 2010.

There were no particularly exciting trends, although I notice the weekend of Valentines day was slightly lower than normal, so I guess most people don't tend to take their loved ones to the pub for a romantic dinner.

As far as site activity is concerned there was a considerable spike in reviews as Conrad had already suggested, that should settle back down a bit in next months update.

On the site in February 2010 there were:-
    4,263 photos of 1,204 pubs
    3,522 comments added
    487 new pubs suggested
    709 map points corrected
    596 web links suggested
    159 new members joined

For comparison in February 2009 there were:-
    2,198 photos of 1,061 pubs
    451 comments added
    567 new pubs suggested
    396 map points corrected
    819 web links suggested
    142 new members joined

The check against how things went in the previous month look at my January 2010 post. As far as month on month changes are concerned the pattern we usually see is that traffic and activity broadly increase all the way through to August and then start tailing off to a low in December.

Forum posts came in at 2,579 for the month, compared to, er, none in the same month last year!

A new one that it seems appropriate to include is that 2,847 more people started using the PuG Layer on their iPhone/Android phone.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Just to add my comments. We publish these stats as we are endeavouring to be as open as we can to you our community, hopefully by seeing what you are achieving with/for the Pubs Galore web site you will feel more invested in it. I would prefer these numbers are not used for chest beating and that is part of the reason we have never displayed them on the front page of the site.

For me the key indicator of success is how much the sites community enjoy using it - I want the site to grow by the community enjoying using it.

So once again, do keep letting us know what you don't enjoy about the site and what you think you would enjoy seeing on the site. We have had some fantastic feedback and we are trying to gradually address it all. Hopefully the nearly 700% increase in reviews over last year indicates that all the new high value contributors are beginning to embrace the site.

Thanks for making those stats happen.

Edit: Just as an early heads up on next months stats, the forum posts are going to go down, for good reason, in that a lot less pubs will be reported as closed in the forums, and will instead be reported directly on the site. We will try and remember to add the reported open/closed stats in the monthly report.

Forum posts came in at 2,579 for the month, compared to, er, none in the same month last year!

Slight increase there...
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

The pub comments is the one area we all need to work on. The more reviews visible, the more the site will gain in credibility and usefulness. The figure quoted appears to be quite impressive this month but probably only reflects the migration of some of our imported comments from elsewhere albeit I have made efforts to update my older reveiws where possible. I would be interested to know how many (or what percentage) of pubs listed on PG currently have no reviews and how many pubs get reviewed for the first time each month. I reckon we should all make an effort to review at least a couple of "virgin" pubs each month!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    The pub comments is the one area we all need to work on. The more reviews visible, the more the site will gain in credibility and usefulness. The figure quoted appears to be quite impressive this month but probably only reflects the migration of some of our imported comments from elsewhere albeit I have made efforts to update my older reveiws where possible. I would be interested to know how many (or what percentage) of pubs listed on PG currently have no reviews and how many pubs get reviewed for the first time each month. I reckon we should all make an effort to review at least a couple of "virgin" pubs each month!
    1,970 Virgin pub reviews last month compared with 344 in the same period last year.

And currently we have 53,193 pubs listed as open of which 11,654 have reviews (21.9%). 35,402 of our open pubs have some form of interaction with them (66.6%), so a picture, comment, web link or map correction. And we have 38,539 pubs with input (so 3,137 of those now closed).

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

The pub comments is the one area we all need to work on.. I reckon we should all make an effort to review at least a couple of "virgin" pubs each month!
    Sounds a good idea, but would our, or more precisely, my, liver stand it?

But, more seriously, you are right and I hope to make a start in May when I vist Cornwall for the Eden Project, pub crawl in Lostwithiel, but a St Austell one is just too many pubs for my liver & wallet

Only 52,000 pubs left to visit then!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Clocked up another 5 pubs today - only one of them a virgin though. Strongers beat me to the others!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

I reckon we should all make an effort to review at least a couple of "virgin" pubs each month!
    Totally agree with this Mr B,as soon as I have got the head gasket problem sorted on the engine,I'll be heading oop north on the canal system intent on knocking off a fair few virgin pubs.As the number of unreviewed pubs continues to decline,so the credibility of this site will rise.I must say that the number of pub with a photo is already at an impressive level.

I will try me best

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I have to admit it will make a huge difference getting the virgin pubs sorted, although they can only ever receive a first review once, so I think we should remember the reviews that come afterwards can frequently be better and tinged with more experience .... or something.

Sadly the photo contributors don't really come onto the forums, but there are quite a few members who have been slogging away on the site for a long time doing them and it is incredible. As I write this it suddenly occurs to me, who would have thought it, people who are chatty on a forum like doing reviews .

It is all good stuff though!