Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extra Cold

Default Extra Cold

A silly question that may appeal to those of a scientific and mathmatical persuasion.

I'm not in the habit of ordering "Extra Cold" beers but something got me wondering about if I ordered a pint of Extra Cold whatever, roughly how long would it take in an average pub environment for the beer to reach the temperature of a similar non-Extra Cold pint? I can't believe that the benefit (if there is any) would last long enough to warrant all the hype/promotion/effort of selling Extra Cold beers.

Another angle...Some of us (and I include myself) are quick to moan when an ale is served too cold. Next time it happens, how long should I realistically leave it to reach the appropriate drinkable temperature?

I know most of us are ale drinkers but on the occasions when we are faced with the choice, does anyone actually opt for Extra Cold over normal and why?

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Never drink the extra colds , the gas it served on tends to be a 60/40 or 50/50 CO2/Nitrogen mix which gives me a bugger of a headache , research suggests its a similar effect to divers getting the bends . If you remember when Caffreys first came out people kept saying it must be strong , i had a hell of a headache the next morning , it wasnt the beer it was the gas
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I know most of us are ale drinkers but on the occasions when we are faced with the choice, does anyone actually opt for Extra Cold over normal and why?
    Usually these are lagers, (which I would rather drink than any "smooth"), so they need to be cold to start with. Working on the basis that chilling beer removes flavour I would say the colder the better for most of these . The exception is Guinness which I find disgusting when extra cold.

This Space For Hire

Not simple. Consider Newton's Law of Cooling below, reversing the direction of heat transfer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_transfer

Once you've considered that for a while - 90 seconds should suffice - admit defeat and adjourn to the pub to conduct some practical experiments. Take plenty of money as you'll be there a while. Water has a comparatively high heat capacity so it'll take several hours to get reproducible results, more if you keep forgetting the earlier ones, or can't read your notes and have to perform reruns.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Never drink the extra colds , the gas it served on tends to be a 60/40 or 50/50 CO2/Nitrogen mix which gives me a bugger of a headache , research suggests its a similar effect to divers getting the bends . If you remember when Caffreys first came out people kept saying it must be strong , i had a hell of a headache the next morning , it wasnt the beer it was the gas
    Fascinating. Never heard that before Oggy, but it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Usually these are lagers, (which I would rather drink than any "smooth"), so they need to be cold to start with. Working on the basis that chilling beer removes flavour I would say the colder the better for most of these .
    Have you ever actually drunk any of these at room temperature? (Don't ask) They're more revolting than a Greek tax-payer.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

While on the subject of temperature and lager (substitute hell), I may as well take the opportunity to attach this tenuous link. Stick with it...

http://ctweblogs.wordpress.com/2007/...r-endothermic/

In response to Roger's question: not that long, if my experiences are anything to go by. Guinness was my sole option for a time and so, so, many pubs now only stock the 'extra cold' variety. When not in any kind of rush, I found that 10-15 minute wait would usually dio the trick. Of course, we're talking about the good 'ol pre-July '07 days, when I got puff on a B&H for a bit. IMO, sip the beer very slowley - and before you know it, the beer will have reached it's desired temperature.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I cannot answer the question, but luckily my local, which keeps running out of 6x [note to self, use another pub] has Guinness at normal temperature as well as extra cold, so I have chosen this option at times

I'll always opt for the normal Guinness, but if it is not up to scratch I will swap to extra cold if available as the drop in temperature seems to mask the taste a little.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I'm sure I am well off the mark here, but could the recent(ish) surgence of 'extra cold' lagers be a ploy by the big beer companies to keep customers away from real ale? Strongers is very correct in his point regarding the 'masking' of the taste: they indeed do. As a result, customers will be less aware of the nasty taste of the Carling, Fosters, Carlsberg, etc.

Are there any real benefits of 'extra cold' beers from the pubs viewpoint? Are they easier to keep?