Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New technology in Real Ale

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default New technology in Real Ale

Just reading Pete Brown's Beer Blog about a new cask technology and was wondering, would you drink it?

I'm just holding out for the Real Ale Pepsi challenge now

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Just reading Pete Brown's Beer Blog about a new cask technology and was wondering, would you drink it?
    Well I would, especially today, my local ran out of 6X on Friday [forgot to order it], new one delivered yesterday, but still settling and not available today lunchtime, so to me, assuming it tastes OK, then why not?

Should add I will drink most anything alcoholic, and used to do home brew, so not exactly a picky drinker or real ale buff savouring a half pint and taking notes

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Assuming the beer is still made with the traditional core ingredients andisn't artificially preserved with gas or some additive, then it is probably still within the definitions of cask conditioned ale and real ale. The ultimate test of course would be in the tasting. I certainly wouldn't dismiss the idea out of hand.

If it does take off it would be most useful in those pubs where beers go off but they haven't anything else ready to serve, hence the "Coming Soon" clips.

As a lapsed Camra man I can confess to enjoying the odd pint of racked Sheps at events in the village hall.For me, it's the addition of extraneuos CO2 that ruins a good beer, rather than whether it's got yeast or not, though generally I prefer it with the yeast, so Marston's idea seems to have got legs.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Not sure about it , though the one good thing about it for me is less yeast in the beer as i have a minor yeast allegy so waking up after a session without my sinuses trying to explode through my eyeballs would make a change
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    As a lapsed Camra man I can confess to enjoying the odd pint of racked Sheps at events in the village hall.For me, it's the addition of extraneuos CO2 that ruins a good beer, rather than whether it's got yeast or not, though generally I prefer it with the yeast, so Marston's idea seems to have got legs.
    I'll support that - that 'bright' Master Brew you get from the Sheps trailer at Kent cricket matches (or in barrels racked on the table at village hall events hereabouts) is a great beer - in fact, rather better than the 'proper' cask version...

Has everone forgot its 1st april soon. I think this one got out early.

P/s The news story about beer inovation sounded like it may be a Aprill fools joke too me afer Id had a few Beers.
    Last edited by Alesonly; 19-03-2010 at 15:35.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    Has everone forgot its 1st april soon. I think this one got out early.
    In case it wasn't clear, I was only talking about the Sheps and not beer in general!

Had a long think over this one. I am no biologist but GM seeds scare me, its messing around with nature and we are not clever enough to see its effect in the future. If successful how long before the big chains call the shots and start demanding this beer that, apparently any " Mac Donald " two week trainee can handle, in preference to what we know as traditional ale. Less storage time ,wastage, quicker " just in time " delivery and ordering.
    I doubt if Marstons are spending significant sums of money without having checked there is a market for it first. Lets face it most people who order a pint are none to fussy over what it is they are getting. If it smells, looks , tastes and costs alright for all they care it could have been shipped in a super tanker from Taiwan. I am not against inovation but unhappy about messing around with the natural products in ale.

Arwkrite.....the one with three heads, one eye, six legs and four and a half arms. He is also a lurid green colour.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Thanks for that Ark, actually a really interesting reply. It put words to something I kind of intuitively feel about it.

I still want a free taste test though